Connect with us

Politics

Thoroughbred horse racing ‘decoupling’ measure gets heated, clears first Committee

Published

on


A measure that would decouple thoroughbred horse racing from certain casino operations, such as slot machines, has cleared its first Committee stop, but not before dozens of speakers voiced their opposition to the measure. 

It was an occasionally heated hearing Tuesday at the Senate Regulated Industries Committee meeting, where Sen. Danny Burgess presented his bill (SB 408), including a strike-all amendment that provided what were intended to be concessions to the thoroughbred horse racing industry and affiliated partners. 

But the change did little to quell fears, mainly among those in the Ocala horse community, including breeders, trainers, veterinarians, feed store owners and more. 

The amendment to the bill, which was adopted, ensures a seven-year window for the horse industry to discuss and establish a plan to ensure its future. The amendment stipulates that race tracks must give at least four years’ notice before ending live horse racing, and that notice, under the bill, couldn’t be given until July 1, 2028, more than three years from now. 

More broadly, the bill would implement what is known as “decoupling,” which would allow thoroughbred horse racing tracks to maintain licenses for slot machines and card rooms without requiring them to also host live racing. 

Other parimutuel facilities were decoupled from ancillary gambling activities under a 2021 law (SB 2A).

Committee Chair Sen. Jennifer Bradley cited the unfairness to horse racing facilities in her support for the bill. Still, she was sure to support those who spoke passionately against the measure. She noted declines in the horse breeding industry, which throws a cloud of uncertainty into not just racing but the horse industry writ large. 

“That uncertainty acts as a cloud to everyone in this room,” she said. 

And committee co-chair, Sen. Jason Pizzo — a rare Democrat holding a leadership post in the Legislature — went even further. He sincerely thanked those who spoke against the decoupling measure, emphasizing the importance of horse racing to Florida and, in particular, the Ocala area. But his South Florida district is home to Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, which is pushing for decoupling. 

At issue is a drop in foal production in the state. In 2002, about 4,500 foals were bred. By last year, that number had dropped to just around 1,000. And last year, the Legislature approved and the Governor signed into law permanent yearly distributions of $27.5 million “to promote breeding and racing horses.”

“That’s not sustainable,” Pizzo said, supporting his “yes” vote. 

“This had to happen today so a conversation is actually had,” Pizzo said, noting that the bill has two more committees to clear before even reaching the Senate floor.

Still, the opposition will be hard to ignore. Several dozen people either spoke or waived their speaking time in opposition. A vet started his own practice under the assumption of a continued thriving horse racing industry in Ocala. There was a brother and sister looking forward to establishing livelihoods. There were trainers who have built their lives around rural farms. All shared a similar message: that if this bill becomes law, it will imperil horse racing and everything it supports. 

According to the American Horse Council, that includes a $3.24 billion economic impact and more than 33,000 jobs. And that doesn’t include the tourism impact horse racing draws, many speakers noted. 

The Florida Thoroughbred Breeders’ and Owners’ Association responded to Tuesday’s vote, arguing “more work” is needed to fight the bill and that it’s “a fight we can win.” The group, through its CEO Lonny Powell, blasted the Legislature’s “prioritizing Canadian gaming interests over Florida’s family farms, small businesses, and horsemen,” a reference to the group that owns Gulfstream Park, the Stronach Group, which is based in Aurora, Canada. 

“Make no mistake, this legislation would strip away jobs, investment, and a $3.24 billion industry, pushing economic opportunities out of the state. Our Thoroughbred industry is deeply rooted in Florida’s agricultural heritage, powering rural communities and fueling local economies. Lawmakers must reject this bill and stand with the hardworking Floridians who keep this agricultural industry and rural Florida thriving,” Powell said. 

Of all the speakers, only one was in favor of the bill. Jeff Johnston, president and partner at the Johnston & Stewart governmental affairs firm, represents Gulfstream Park. The company wants to make necessary improvements to its facility and hopes to attract more attention to its racing activities. He lamented that critics were perhaps not reading the bill, noting that it does not change the number of days tracks are required to race per year. And he doubled down on the industry being “in trouble.” He said Gulfstream subsidizes the sector “to the tune of about $6 million.” 

The conversation is far from over. The Senate bill will next go to the Appropriations Committee on Agriculture, Environment, and General Government and the Rules Committee. 

A house version of the bill (HB 105) originally from Rep. Adam Anderson has cleared both of its committee stops and was amended to include a similar provision to provide more time for the horse racing industry to adapt to change. However, unlike the Senate version, which contemplates a seven-year period before decoupling is put into practice, the House version offers five years. 

Time is ticking on both sides — the Legislative Session is expected to end on May 2. 

 


Post Views: 0



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

House passes bill to allow the safe surrender of newborn infants

Published

on


The Florida House of Representatives unanimously passed a measure Thursday that would ensure newborn babies can be safely surrendered to authorities.

Eustis Republican Rep. Nan Cobb presented the bill (HB 791) to establish and regulate the use of newborn safety devices installed in the walls of hospitals, fire stations, and emergency medical services (EMS) stations.

Similar legislation was introduced during the 2023 Legislative Session; however, the bill never made it out of Committee.

Cobb’s bill aims to provide a safe and anonymous way for parents to surrender their newborn baby, defined in the bill as under 30 days old, without the fear of legal repercussions as long as there is no abuse or neglect suspected.

The proposed devices would be temperature-controlled, ventilated, and physically attached to the outside wall of a hospital EMS station or fire station. Alarm systems must also be installed to ensure that staff know when a baby has been placed in the safety device.

During the bill’s passage through the House Health and Human Services Committee, Cobb detailed some of the statistics surrounding the abandonment of newborn infants.

“In 2000, Florida enacted the Safe Haven legislation in response to tragedies concerning newborn abandonment at unsafe locations such as public restrooms, and trash recepticals,” Cobb told the Committee. “Since 2000, approximately 414 newborns have surrendered at a Safe Haven in Florida. In that time, 65 infants are known to have been unsafely abandoned, of which 32 survived and unfortunately 33 did not.”

While the bill was being presented to the House, Tampa Democratic Rep. Dianne Hart commended Cobb for bringing it to the floor and said Cobb had addressed previous concerns about the device’s alarms once a baby was placed in it.

“Representative, I want to applaud you for bringing this back,” Hart said. “I know that we had some problems in the past where people thought, well, if you put the baby in a box, nobody will know the baby’s there, but the way that you have structured this bill, immediately someone will be notified. There’s nothing like caring for our babies, and I greatly appreciate you taking this under your wing this year and bringing it back.”

Surveillance systems would also be required to allow employees to monitor the device 24 hours a day, and staff would be required to check the device physically at least twice daily.

The legislation will now move to the Senate floor.


Post Views: 0



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Converge, River Crossing Strategy Group announce strategic partnership

Published

on


‘The strategic partnership … will deliver tremendous value to many of our firm’s clients.’

Converge Public Strategies has entered into a strategic partnership with River Crossing Strategy Group, long recognized as one of New Jersey’s premier government and public affairs firms.

As part of this initiative, River Crossing Strategy Group’s Florida Managing Director Tim White, a seasoned government affairs and public relations executive, has joined Converge as a Partner in its Northeast Florida office.

White brings decades of experience in public affairs, government relations and strategic communications to Converge. Before relocating to Northeast Florida several years ago, White was recognized as one of the top 100 lobbyists in New Jersey by Insider NJ for his proven track record of managing issue advocacy campaigns, regulatory approvals and real estate development initiatives.

He is the Chair of River Crossing Strategy Group’s Public Affairs Practice in New Jersey and the Managing Director of its Northeast Florida office. His extensive background includes leadership roles at Beckerman and MWW Group, as well as political consulting and government service at the municipal, county and state levels.

At Converge, White will leverage his deep expertise to drive strategic growth and advocacy efforts for clients navigating complex regulatory and political landscapes across Northeast Florida. He will also continue to maintain his role and affiliation with River Crossing Strategy Group.

“The strategic partnership with River Crossing Strategy Group will deliver tremendous value to many of our firm’s clients. Their reputation in New Jersey government and political circles is second to none,” said Converge Public Strategies Chair Jonathan Kilman.

“Tim is the consummate professional. He will have an immediate impact for the firm and our clients in the Northeast Florida region and beyond.”


Post Views: 0



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

St. Pete City Council OKs $22.5M for Tropicana Field roof repairs

Published

on


St. Pete City Council voted to approve $22.5 million to replace the iconic domed roof on Tropicana Field after it was destroyed by high winds from Hurricane Milton in October.

Replacing the roof has been a source of contention throughout the city as the future of Major League Baseball in St. Petersburg — or even perhaps the Tampa Bay region — remains in peril. The Rays are contractually obligated to play at Tropicana Field through the 2027 season, and as the team’s landlord, the city is required to fix the stadium.

While the vote may come as a frustration to some — including City Council member Richie Floyd, who voted against the expenditure because he wanted to see numbers worked up on how much it would cost to buy the Rays out of their remaining contract — the approved expenditure is about half the original estimated cost to fix the roof, estimated at nearly $56 million in November.

In response to Floyd’s concern about buying the Rays out of their remaining contract, City Administrator Rob Gerdes said it was considered, but doing so would have cost the city insurance reimbursements and Federal Emergency Management Agency aid, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

The vote paves the way for the Rays to return to Tropicana Field for the 2026 season, after they play this season in Tampa at Steinbrenner Field.

A report sent to St. Pete City Council in November outlined needed repairs and estimates to complete them, including $24 million to replace the roof. In all, the estimate came to $39 million in damages to the stadium, with another $16 million in other related needs.

The price tag is particularly stinging considering a calculated risk the city took last March, reducing its insurance coverage on Tropicana Field from $100 million to just $25 million. The move saved the city $275,000 on insurance premiums. The policy also has a $22 million deductible.

And it comes less than a month after Rays leadership announced it would not move forward with a previously approved stadium deal.

The team blamed “a series of events beginning in October” for its “difficult decision.” That’s in reference to Hurricane Milton and its damage to the stadium, which led to approval delays for bonds necessary to move forward with the deal.

The team has said those bond approval delays caused cost overruns and blamed the city of St. Pete and Pinellas County for hitches in what had seemed like a done deal.

Rays Principal owner Stuart Sternberg said at the time that the team was “excited to return to our home field next spring,” pointing to the city’s efforts to move forward with stadium repairs.

The latest also comes as investors are lining up to buy the Rays amid frustration with current ownership.

Tampa businessman Joe Molloy, who is a former minority owner of the New York Yankees, is heading a group of prospective Tampa-based investors seeking to buy the Rays. They would keep the team in St. Pete under the existing stadium deal, according to the Tampa Bay Times.


Post Views: 0



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.