Connect with us

Business

Stocks set to post worst quarter in 3 years as investors wait in fear for ‘Liberation Day’

Published

on



  • President Donald Trump has changed his tune again on tariffs as investors nervously await a new batch of import taxes to be unveiled on Wednesday. The stock market has had an especially tough March, and a quiet period for earnings has meant bad news out of Washington looms even larger than normal.  

Stocks are set to post their worst quarter in nearly three years as markets wait in fear for President Donald Trump’s next big tariff announcement on Wednesday. The S&P 500 fell sharply after the opening bell, dipping below the 5,500 mark for the first time since September, before bouncing back to pare its losses. The index is down over 5% year to date, its worst three months since plunging 17% in the second quarter of 2022.

Wall Street has especially soured on tech as investors hunt for safer assets amid tariff turmoil. The Nasdaq Composite was down over 1% as of midday Monday and has fallen more than 11% in the first quarter of 2025. Shares of the market’s preeminent AI darling, Nvidia, have shed nearly a quarter of their value as the stock dipped Monday, while Elon Musk’s Tesla is down over 30% this year after its shares also fell. 

Markets had received a boost last week after Trump downplayed expectations for the tariff announcement on April 2, which he has termed “Liberation Day.” The tune from the administration has changed again, however, with the Wall Street Journal reporting over the weekend that a blanket 20% tariff on all imports is on the table. The White House has also pushed back on previous reports that so-called reciprocal tariffs on trading partners might be narrowed, with the president telling reporters Sunday the new taxes will target “all countries.”

Markets famously hate uncertainty, as the saying goes, and Trump’s on-again, off-again tariff threats have weighed on stocks for months. As Wednesday’s announcement looms, a lack of good news has also made things worse, said ETF and hedge-fund manager Jay Hatfield, CEO of Infrastructure Capital Advisors.

Core to Trump’s economic agenda, he said, is the idea that tariffs will pay for tax cuts elsewhere. While investors have been forced to contend with how higher taxes on imports could result in slower growth and higher prices, there haven’t been as many updates from Washington about reducing the tax burden for individuals or corporate America.

“The bad part is pretty certain,” Hatfield said, “but the good part is not certain.”

Stocks initially rallied to all-time highs after Trump’s election win in November thanks to the president’s promises of tax cuts and deregulation unleashing economic growth. 

“Not because he was going to try to make Canada the 51st state,” Hatfield said.

Seasonality could exacerbate recession fears

Those postelection gains have been more than erased after both the S&P and Nasdaq slid into correction territory in March. Tariff worries have fanned the flames of recession fears. Goldman Sachs now says there is a 35% chance of gross domestic product contracting for two straight quarters, in part because of how heavy import taxes could weigh on consumer spending and continued uncertainty might suppress business investment.

Cuts to the federal workforce, meanwhile, will also impact Friday’s monthly jobs report, and Hatfield would not be surprised if it came in soft. However, that could be bullish for the stock market long-term, he said, if it pushes the Federal Reserve to cut interest rates.

He also noted bonds rallied Monday as investors piled into safe-haven assets. The yield on the 10-year Treasury, the benchmark for rates on mortgages and other borrowing costs throughout the economy, now sits at 4.23%, down about 60 basis points from early January.  

Finally, Hatfield also said March is typically a weak month for the stock market, in part owing to a lack of major earnings announcements to combat bad news.

“It’s kind of like waking up in the middle of night,” he said. “You don’t usually wake up euphoric. You wake up with your fears.”

Plenty of investors are hoping their tariff nightmare ends soon.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

The ‘de minimis’ tariff loophole that drove Shein and Temu to fast-fashion dominance is closing May 2

Published

on

© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Buy-now-pay-later installment plans will now appear on your credit report

Published

on

© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Analysts unanimously denounce Trump’s liberation day tariffs: ‘Worse than the worst case’

Published

on



  • Respected economists and analysts across the board predicted President Trump’s so-called “Liberation Day” tariffs would have a major effect on the U.S. and world economies. Analysts agreed that the announcement was worse than market onlookers expected as the stock market plummeted Thursday in response.

It’s a truism that economists can’t agree on anything—but President Donald Trump’s so-called “Liberation Day” tariffs have analysts in rare agreement that major economic pain is coming, and it’s worse than any of them predicted. Indeed, it could be even “worse than the worst case.”

During a Wednesday speech at the White House, Trump announced a baseline 10% tariff on imports from all countries and revealed soaring tariffs, which he called “reciprocal,” on some of the United States’ biggest trading partners, including China, Japan, and the European Union. 

The announcement sent markets tumbling, with all major indexes down Thursday afternoon. The benchmark S&P 500 was down 4.6% and the Dow Jones was down about 3.7%, but the tech-heavy Nasdaq, which in recent years has guided the stock market to new highs, led the losses with a 5.6% drop.

In response, a slew of respected economists and analysts from major global banks sounded the alarm on a potential recession and predicted changes to the world economic order.

Here are some of the most pointed takes from analysts as they try to make sense of the impending changes.

Wedbush Securities: “Worse than the worst case scenario”

Among the most dismayed was Dan Ives of Wedbush Securities. In a note from Wednesday afternoon, the veteran tech analyst and his team said Trump’s tariffs were even worse than expected.

“President Trump just finished his tariff speech at the White House and we would characterize this slate of tariffs as ‘worse than the worst case scenario’ the Street was fearing,” the analysts wrote.

Ives and his team added that the tariffs on China and Taiwan would especially weigh on technology, and the supply chains of the world’s biggest companies would suffer. The analysts called out Apple, which produces most of its iPhones in China, and Nvidia, which has significant exposure to Taiwan’s semiconductor industry.

In a follow-up note on Thursday, Ives’ team took a shot at the Trump administration’s calculations for the tariffs, calling them “illogical and absurd.” 

“If a 9th grader in high school presented this tariff chart to a teacher in a basic economics class the teacher would laugh and say sit down and work on the assignment,” they wrote. 

The Wedbush analysts suggested that the absurdity of the numbers show that the tariff rates couldn’t possibly be final and that deals with trading partners are likely to follow. If not, stagflation, the deadly combination of low growth and high inflation, would follow quickly, they wrote.

“Over the coming 24 hours the world will quickly realize these tariff rates will never stay as they are shown otherwise it would be a self-inflicted Economic Armageddon that Trump would send the US and world through over the coming year,” the analysts wrote.

Larry Summers goes after Trump

Former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers took a shot at Trump in a series of posts following the president’s tariff announcement Wednesday.

The respected economist wrote that Trump’s speech cost many Americans real money.

“Never before has an hour of Presidential rhetoric cost so many people so much. Markets continue to move after my previous tweet. The best estimate of the loss from tariff policy is now is closer to $30 trillion or $300,000 per family of four,” Summers wrote in a Wednesday post.

In later posts, Summers also criticized the Trump administration’s calculations, saying they made no sense.

“This is to economics what creationism is to biology, astrology is to astronomy, or RFK thought is to vaccine science,” Summers wrote. “The Trump tariff policy makes little sense EVEN if you believe in protectionist mercantilist economics.”

Finally, Summers—who headed the Treasury under President Bill Clinton—wrote that the tariff announcement was so bad, he would not have tolerated it were he in a government position. 

“If any administration of which I was a part had launched an economic policy so totally ungrounded in serious analysis or so dangerous and damaging, I would have resigned in protest,” he added

Goldman Sachs: Hardware companies to increase prices

Analysts at Goldman Sachs noted that Wednesday’s tariffs were higher than expected and that they would have an effect on hardware companies—even if negotiations ultimately bring those tariff rates lower.

“The magnitude of the tariffs announced is much higher and broader than anticipated by us and investors, and while many might argue that changes could occur through negotiations over the coming days and months, if sustained, the magnitude of the tariff would offer limited options for hardware companies to adjust their supply chains or wait out the term of the current administration,” they wrote in a Thursday note.

The Goldman analysts predicted that because of the breadth of the tariffs, which affect all countries, “price increases to offset the headwinds will be more than just modest.”

The analysts predicted a 5% increase in prices for hardware companies, but some companies with a larger reliance on hardware would take the biggest revenue hits of more than 50%, including information technology company Supermicro, broadband and software company Calix, and optical material and semiconductor manufacturer Coherent.

Oxford Economics: “a global recession will likely be avoided”

One of the rare, slightly upbeat notes came from economic advisory firm Oxford Economics, whose analysts wrote that a recession may not be on the horizon. 

“The implementation of the US ‘Liberation Day’ tariff hikes will have a huge impact on individual sectors and firms and will further dampen sentiment. However, our initial assessment suggests a global recession will likely be avoided,” analysts from the firm wrote.

Still,  U.S. imports could fall by 15% in three years due to the reciprocal tariffs, which could hit global GDP by 0.5 percentage points this year and 1 percentage point in 2026, the analysts said.  

They also believe that any hopes of lessened uncertainty following the Wednesday announcement were unfounded. Even if countries were able to negotiate tariffs down lower or to nothing, the process would still be long.

“One hope is that deals will be struck quickly, meaning that tariff hikes are partially or fully reversed. While such an outcome is possible, tariffs typically rise quickly but fall slowly. With many economies subject to individual reciprocal tariffs, governments may face a lengthy wait before they can even enter negotiations,” the analysts wrote.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.