Connect with us

Business

Prabowo faces investor revolt over Indonesia’s economic path

Published

on



For months, President Prabowo Subianto’s moves to chip away at Indonesia’s long-established economic guardrails have stoked anxiety in markets. This week’s sudden rout suggests investor patience is wearing thin.

The ex-general has been causing unease with his populist spending measures, plans to dilute the central bank’s independence and aggressive policies against foreign businesses like Apple Inc. He fast-tracked laws to expand the role of the military too, triggering angry student protests in Jakarta.

The tipping point came on Tuesday, when rumors that finance minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati, who has kept a tight rein on spending during her cumulative 14 years in office, would resign. The stock market dropped the most in three years on the day, prompting government officials and Indrawati herself to come out, one by one, to dispel the speculation. Bank Indonesia was forced to step in to protect the rupiah, Asia’s worst performing currency this year.

The rumors have “renewed fears of reformists being purged and was a catalyst for exposing all the economic problems the country is facing,” said John Foo, founder of Valverde Investment Partners Pte.

While there’s been some reprieve in the markets since then, investors remain rattled by Prabowo’s policy moves, coming at a time when Southeast Asia’s biggest economy is also grappling with U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariff threats and waning demand from China for raw materials. 

Top of mind for investors is the fiscal outlook. Once cited by Morgan Stanley as one of the “Fragile Five” markets prone to wild swings in foreign sentiment, Indonesia has steadily improved its credibility to investors thanks to prudent economic management that’s lifted its credit rating out of junk status.

Prabowo, 73, is now threatening to upend that trajectory. His policy steps since taking office in October could push the budget deficit closer to its legal limit of 3% of gross domestic product. He increased his cabinet to more than 100 from around 60 under his predecessor Joko Widodo. After a public outcry, he backtracked on hiking the value-added tax rate, a move which would’ve boosted government revenue.

He implemented a free lunch program for students—a signature campaign pledge—that will cost $30 billion a year, the equivalent of 14% of Indonesia’s entire 2024 budget. To pay for that, he slashed spending in other areas, like infrastructure projects and travel.

“People in the markets are concerned about economic policy making,” said Achmad Sukarsono, lead analyst for Indonesia at Control Risks. “They have seen that many policies—let’s just say—do not have sound economic grounding.”

Prabowo’s office didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.  

‘Wake-up call’

The government delayed releasing monthly budget data for January, leading investors to question the state of the government’s finances. The figures were finally published last week, showing a surprise deficit as both revenues and expenditures plunged.

None of that bodes well for Prabowo’s biggest pledge of all: boosting economic growth to 8%. Analysts say that goal is unrealistic, with the market consensus closer to 5% growth this year.

“The president remains focused on fulfilling his populist campaign promises, which require efficient execution,” said Aditya Perdana, a political lecturer at the University of Indonesia, describing the effort as uneven and selective. “From a political perspective, this should serve as a wake-up call for the government to adjust its course before losing further credibility.”

Prabowo’s creation of a sovereign wealth fund, Danantara, is another source of concern. The fund will take control of the nation’s state-owned enterprises and have a sweeping mandate to invest across industries. The government will channel $20 billion from the existing budget into the fund, which will be run by business-savvy allies and report directly to the president. 

Authoritarian past

Prabowo’s actions appear in many ways to be at odds with the very institutions put in place to win the faith of voters and investors after the downfall of former dictator Suharto, who ruled Indonesia for three decades until his ouster amid street protests in the late 1990s. 

His allies in parliament, for example, moved swiftly to pass a controversial law to expand the role of the military, despite public criticism that the changes are reminiscent of the Southeast Asian nation’s authoritarian past. Thousands of students took to the street in the capital on Thursday, throwing stones, spray-painting walls and setting tires ablaze as they demanded lawmakers reverse the changes, according to local reports.

Market reaction to the law’s passage indicates a cautious approach from investors reflecting concerns “about potential shifts in Indonesia’s democratic trajectory and governance structures,” said SGMC Capital Pte Ltd senior partner Mohit Mirpuri.

“We believe this could provide some uncertainty in the market,” Citigroup Inc. analyst Ferry Wong said of the protests.

Lawmakers have also been talking about potentially expanding the mandate of the central bank. That renewed investor concerns about Bank Indonesia’s independence after an earlier draft of the financial sector omnibus law added job creation to the central bank’s objectives. Governor Perry Warjiyo said this week the rule changes would only “emphasize,” but not fundamentally change its current goals.

To be sure, none of this appears to pose any imminent threat to Prabowo, who enjoys an overwhelming parliamentary majority, while the country’s sole opposition party is still seen lending legislative support on matters like the military law. State revenues are also poised to see a turnaround in March, Indrawati reassured on Tuesday, and the government has pledged to maintain its budget deficit at 2.5% of GDP this year, well within the legal limit.

It remains to be seen whether those assurances will be enough to ease investor concerns. 

“This is a clear warning, and we must prevent the situation from deteriorating further,” said Perdana of the University of Indonesia. “While some corrective measures have been introduced, poor implementation remains a critical issue.”

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Popular Tony’s Chocolonely chocolate bars recalled for possibly containing ‘small stones’

Published

on



  • Several Tony’s Chocolonely chocolate bars have been recalled for possibly containing small stones. The stones were not filtered by a third-party processor of almonds. The bars were sold in retail stores in the U.S. as well as the company’s website.

Think twice before you bite into that Tony’s Chocolonely chocolate bar.

The popular chocolate bar has recalled several lots in the U.S. after discovering the same products might contain small stones.

Seven lots of the brand’s Dark Almond Sea Salt Bar and Everything Bar are impacted by the recalls. Those were distributed nationwide, selling at both retail locations and the company’s website between Feb. 7 and March 24 of this year.

The company the stones were “not filtered during third-party almond harvesting and the almond processing process.”

“Whilst the chance of any individual product being affected is low, and we have not yet received any complaints in North America, we have decided to take this step in order to ensure the safety and satisfaction of Tony’s Chocolonely consumers in an abundance of caution,” the company wrote in the recall.

Here’s how to tell if the candy bar in your house was affected by the recall:

Tony’s Dark Almond Sea Salt Bar

Products with a best-used-by-date of Nov. 22, 2025
Lot code is: 4327
The UPC is: 850011828564

Products with a best-used-by-date of Nov. 25, 2025
Lot code is: 4330
UPC is: 850011828564

Products with a best-used-by-date of Nov. 26, 2025
Lot code is: 4331
UPC is: 850011828564

Products with a best-used-by-date of Nov. 26, 2025
Lot code is: M4331
UPC is 850032676441

Tony’s Everything Bar

Products with a best-used-by-date of April 2, 2026
Lot code is: 163094
UPC is: 858010005641

Products with a best-used-by-date of Feb. 28, 2026
Lot code is: 162634
UPC is: 858010005641

Products with a best-used-by-date of Feb. 28, 2026
Lot code is: M162634
UPC is: 85001182890

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

The NHL just struck a $7.7 billion deal with Rogers, which is more than double the previous media-rights contract they signed a decade ago

Published

on

TORONTO (AP) — The NHL and Rogers Communications announced a new 12-year national media rights deal Wednesday to air games on multiple platforms in Canada.

The agreement, which was first reported Monday, is valued at $11 billion Canadian dollars, or roughly $7.7 billion. The new deal runs through the 2037-38 season.

“Based on how the discussions were going and Rogers’ resolve to retain us and our resolve to try and continue to make the partnership work, we actually extended the exclusive negotiating period so that we could get to a point that we were both comfortable,” Commissioner Gary Bettman said at a news conference about the deal. “It wasn’t what I would describe as contentious in the least. I think we were pretty much on the same page. We had to work a little bit on the money, but that came together as well. But in the final analysis, we wanted to be together. And that’s how it came together, as quickly as it did.”

In Canadian dollars, it is worth more than double the previous contract signed in November 2013 that cost Rogers $5.2 billion in the local currency.

Rogers CEO Tony Staffieri said the finances have worked out and will continue to work out with the new deal. Sportsnet, Rogers’ sports network, said its revenue has more than doubled since 2013.

“The value of live sports content just continues to appreciate, and it’s really rooted in viewership continuing to grow,” Staffieri said. “If you look at our NHL deal over the last decade, viewership grew by 50%. And with that kind of growth, what you see is revenue growing at a very steady and healthy pace in terms of advertising revenue, subscription revenue, and in the deal we have now, sub-licensing revenue. And so as we look to the next 12 years, we were very thoughtful in how we thought about the economics.”

The NBA’s U.S. rights deal went up 160% from 2016 to 2025 and the NHL’s U.S. rights deal increased by 213% from 2011 to 2021. Rogers’ deal is a 111% raise from 2014 to 2026.

This is the league’s latest source of revenue after contracting with ESPN and Turner Sports in 2021 for the current U.S. TV and streaming rights deal for $4.5 billion over seven years combined.

The deal includes national rights across all platforms, including TV, digital, and streaming, for all national regular-season games, in all languages, as well as out-of-market rights for all regional games.

It also includes national rights to all playoff games, the Stanley Cup Final and all special events and tentpole events, in all languages.

The agreement allows for strategic sub-licensing for a subset of the rights, including national French-language and a single-night exclusive national package.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Burned-out executives can cost companies more than $20,000—and cause a ‘social contagion effect’

Published

on

Is your workforce burned out?

Some 36% of U.S. workers are burned out, and 33% feel more burned out now than they did this time last year, according to a recent report from staffing firm Robert Half. And employee burnout can be pretty costly: Burned out individual contributors can cost US companies an average $3,999 per hourly worker and $4,257 per salaried worker, a recent American Journal of Preventive Medicine study found. These costs jump to $10,824 per manager and $20,683 per executive.

“What hurts companies more than anything, it’s managerial burnout,” said John R. Miles, CEO and founder of leadership firm Passion Struck. “When a manager doesn’t feel like they matter, the entire team feels it. If you have a disengaged manager, you’re likely going to have a disengaged team.”

What does it look like? Employee burnout can result in increased absenteeism, sick days, attrition, and turnover, Leah Phifer, an employee engagement expert and founder of consulting firm WhyWork, told HR Brew.

Leaders experiencing burnout may exhibit unusual-for-them irritability, short tempers, and impatience with employees and peers, she said, and lead to decreased productivity, performance, creativity, and innovation among employees.

And for leaders, it can have a “social contagion effect” on the organization, she said.

“When [leaders] walk into a room, and their face is really drained or stern, it doesn’t matter how the people in the room are feeling,” she said. “They could have been buoyant and celebratory, but as soon as that manager walks into the room looking completely drained and exhausted, it’s going to affect the mood in that room.”

What’s causing leadership burnout? Burnout isn’t caused simply by workload, Miles said. It can stem from a “mattering erosion,” when employees feel like who they are, what they value, and what they do aren’t important.

“It’s not as if burnout happens over a short period of time. It builds up in a matter of micro-losses,” Miles said, like when employees are made to feel “less than” or excluded by coworkers, or sacrifice time with friends and family, or on their health, to work.

When this happens, everyone in an organization can end up in a “downward spiral” toward burnout, he said.

What can HR do? HR pros can help combat burnout by flagging “emotional shifts” to leadership, Miles said. That way, they can mitigate burnout in its early stages, before it becomes “difficult to counteract.” HR should be the place, Miles added, where leaders can share “what’s hard, what’s working, and what’s breaking them down.”

“Who’s supporting the support?…We treat managers like they’re buffers in the organization,” Miles said. “They’re the ones that we’re expecting to absorb change, deliver the hard news, [and] mediate emotional challenges. But I think what we’re not doing is we’re not checking in on their capacity.”

Phifer recommended HR pros also help leaders recognize their unique burnout symptoms, so they can communicate how they’re feeling with their employees and colleagues. If they don’t, she added, their team may experience retention issues.

This report was written by Mikaela Cohen and was originally published by HR Brew.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.