Connect with us

Politics

Donald Trump says he’s considering ways to serve a third term as president

Published

on


President Donald Trump said Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends in early 2029.

“There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News.

He also said “it is far too early to think about it.”

The 22nd Amendment, which was added to the Constitution in 1951 after President Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected four times in a row, says “no person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice.”

NBC’s Kristen Welker asked Trump if one potential avenue to a third term was having Vice President JD Vance run for the top job and “then pass the baton to you.”

“Well, that’s one,” Trump responded. “But there are others too. There are others.”

“Can you tell me another?” Welker asked.

“No,” Trump replied.

Vance’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Associated Press.

Trump, who would be 82 at the end of his second term, was asked whether he would want to keep serving in “the toughest job in the country” at that point.

“Well, I like working,” the president said.

He suggested that Americans would go along with a third term because of his popularity. He falsely claimed to have “the highest poll numbers of any Republican for the last 100 years.”

Gallup data shows President George W. Bush reaching a 90% approval rating after the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. His father, President George H.W. Bush, hit 89% following the Gulf War in 1991.

Trump has maxed out at 47% in Gallup data during his second term, despite claiming to be “in the high 70s in many polls, in the real polls.”

Trump has mused before about serving longer than two terms before, generally with jokes to friendly audiences.

“Am I allowed to run again?” he said during a House Republican retreat in January.


Post Views: 0



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Claims bills to pay settlement balance over drowned Miami Beach rec leader await floor votes

Published

on


One day after its Senate companion cleared its final committee stop, a House bill allowing Miami Beach to pay the sizable balance of a wrongful death settlement is also headed for a floor vote.

Members of the House Judiciary Committee voted unanimously for HB 6519, which would authorize Miami Beach to pay $1.7 million to the family of Peniel “P.J. Janvier, a 28-year-old city employee who drowned in a community pool last year.

Miami Republican Rep. Juan Porras, the measure’s sponsor in the House, presented the bill to the panel Wednesday, but kept his comments short. The bill received nothing but “yes” votes in the chamber.

Its upper-chamber analog (SB 14) by Miami Gardens Democratic Sen. Shevrin Jones fared nearly as well; only Pensacola Republican Sen. Don Gaetz voted against the measure.

HB 6519 is known as a claims bill, a special classification of legislation intended to compensate a person or entity for injury or loss due to the negligence or error of a public officer or agency.

Claims bills arise when the damages a claimant seeks are above the thresholds set in Florida’s sovereign immunity law, which today caps payouts at $200,000 per person and $300,000 per incident.

The latter sum is what Janvier’s family has received since May 2024, when the Miami Beach City Commission approved a $2 million settlement.

Janvier, an Army Reserve member and recreation leader with the city’s Parks and Recreation Department, was visiting kids he oversaw during Summer camp on Aug. 16, 2022, at the Scott Rakow Youth Center’s outdoor pool.

Video footage recorded Janvier being pushed by a camper into the pool’s deep end. He struggled for 12 minutes as kids tried to save him and a lifeguard on duty was transfixed with his phone.

Miami Beach later suspended two employees and fired a third over the incident and agreed to pay Janvier’s family, who have only seen $300,000 of the agreed-to sum. Janvier’s LinkedIn page features a work history indicative of a civically engaged young man who enjoyed working with people. He worked as an activities coordinator for the Pompano Health and Rehabilitation Center before becoming a youth recreation specialist with Miami-Dade County, a job he parlayed into his recreation leader post with the city that he’d held for three years before his death.

He was also close to marking three years working as a sanitation inspector for the city of Miami and was nearing six years with the Army Reserve, where he was a heavy equipment operator.

His LinkedIn page says he held a master’s degree in health services administration and a bachelor’s degree in marketing from Florida International University.


Post Views: 0



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Bill to establish rules for student athlete compensation advances

Published

on


The House Education and Employment Committee passed a measure Wednesday that seeks to establish rules and protections regarding student athlete representation and compensation for the use of their name, image, and likeness (NIL).

Naples Republican Rep. Yvette Benarroch presented the bill (HB 981) and explained that the legislation would limit what athlete agents are able to receive from NIL earnings and would create transparency by establishing a public database of agents.

“This bill protects student athletes by placing a 5% cap on the fees athlete agents can collect from new name, imagine, and likeness or NIL contracts, involving NIL collectives,” Benarroch said. “It also allows high student athletes, not just seniors, to earn NIL compensation if they’re being recruited to play sports.”

Benarroch said that student athletes would be able to seek advice, while audit requirements would be removed.

“Additionally, the bill ensures student athletes can seek advice from coaches, economic advisers, or their school registered advisers, with parental consent required for minors,” Benarroch said. “Finally, it removes an unnecessary Department of Education audit requirement, as schools are only required to maintain a list of registered advisers.”

“The bill is a balanced approach that protects student athletes, ensures transparency, and promotes responsible NIL participation,” Benarroch added.

An amendment was adopted that clarifies that the 5% cap only applies to collectives and does not require a student athlete to register compensation with the Florida High School Athletic Association. It further clarifies that a high school student may earn compensation for name, image, or likeness and must get parental consent if the student athlete is under the age of 18.

Sarasota Republican Rep. Fiona McFarland thanked Benarroch for the bill and for taking suggestions into consideration after the last committee stop.

“This bill has made a great improvement, and I know that you will continue to do so as it completes its journey through the committee process,” McFarland said. “As it moves forward, I still have some concerns about this new category we’re creating of a registered adviser. Perhaps outlining where the adviser needs to register, that feels like a very formal title to me.”

McFarland added that she also has concerns over public high school coaches having an alternative revenue source through NIL deals when they’re being paid by Florida taxpayers.

“Those are two very separate activities in my mind, and I know that your heart for protecting our student athletes will dive into these issues,” she said.

Jacksonville Democratic Rep. Kimberly Daniels supported the bill and said she would like to sign on as a co-sponsor and encouraged her colleagues to do the same.

“Representative Benarroch, thank you for this great bill,” Daniels said. “It’s awesome the work that you’re doing and I’m even going to sign on as a co-sponsor and ask my colleagues to do the same.”

North Miami Beach Democratic Rep. Wallace Aristide also supported the bill and noted that he has personal experience with student athletes as an educator and pointed out that his son is a football coach at Texas A&M.

“I’ve been around football all my life, my son is a football coach at Texas A&M, there’s really a tremendous issue, it’s a major problem, families will understand,” Aristide said. “See, there’s a real-life thing happening here, and sometimes when you don’t really know about it, you’re not in the middle of it, where people are getting cars, we’re they’re going leasing cars, some very young people, that advantage can be taken, they could be taken advantage of.”

Aristide added that he understands concerns over high school coaches and said there are people who would take advantage of young student athletes who find themselves suddenly with a lot of money.

“This is a major concern, and I understand about the coaches who don’t get paid a whole lot, they’re going to be given a whole lot of responsibility, because the parents come and they listen to the coaches, they build relationships with the coaches,” Aristide said. “This is going to be a problem that is going to explode eventually, because you’ve got people who are predators, they’re going to try to take advantage of these families, so I want to thank you for bringing this.”


Post Views: 0



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Gift card fraud bills charged for floor votes

Published

on


Companion bills designed to crack down on gift card fraud in Florida are close to passing. Both await floor votes.

Members of the House Judiciary Committee voted unanimously Wednesday to advance HB 1007, which would codify language and punishments specific to gift card fraud in Florida Statutes.

Senate lawmakers did the same for the bill’s upper-chamber analog (SB 1198) Tuesday.

The House bill’s sponsor, St. Augustine Republican Rep. Sam Greco, a lawyer, said the crime his legislation aims to address “has victimized many Floridians in recent years.”

“These schemes have resulted in meaningful financial losses for both consumers and businesses, while our law enforcement and State Attorneys lack the necessary tools to combat this misconduct effectively,” he said.

“The bill aims to protect Floridians from exploitation and give our police and prosecutors the tools they need to hold bad actors accountable.”

SB 1198 and HB 1007 differ slightly in language, but their effects are essentially the same. If passed, the legislation would:

— Establish clear definitions for gift cards and terms related to their use and misuse.

— Make committing gift card fraud a first-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and $1,000 in fines.

— Increase the penalty to a third-degree felony, punishable by up to five years in prison and $5,000 in fines, if the value of ill-gotten money, goods or services exceeds $750.

Representatives from the International Council of Shopping Centers, Florida Chamber of Commerce, Florida Retail Federation, Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association, Associated Industries of Florida, Florida Smart Justice Alliance, AARP and Interactive Communications International support the legislation.

In 2023 alone, gift card-related fraud accounted for $217 million of the record $10 billion lost in scams across the U.S., according to Federal Trade Commission data.

In Florida, there have been many news reports about gift card fraudsters getting caught.

Democratic Rep. Dan Daley, a Broward County prosecutor, said the state’s existing petit theft laws aren’t sufficient in tamping down on gift card fraud.

“This is not a person that’s going in and just taking a gift card or two off the shelf,” he said.

“This is a complicated scheme where they’re going in, taking as many as they can, taking them home, stripping them out of the packaging, taking down the information, repackaging it, putting it back in the store, somebody’s unexpectedly buying them and giving them to a loved one — a family member, whatever — as a gift, and when there’s money loaded onto the card (the criminal takes) the money. … So, very complicated, very complex.”

St. Petersburg Sen. Nick DiCeglie is carrying SB 1198.


Post Views: 0



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.