Connect with us

Politics

Bill tweaking rules for personal injury, wrongful death lawsuits advances to House floor vote

Published

on


A bill meant to allow more evidence in personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits is one vote from passing in the House after clearing its final committee stop, where it encountered ample business opposition.

Members of the House Judiciary Committee voted 19-3 for HB 947, a four-page bill with major implications on tort law in the Sunshine State.

Supporters say it would fix confusion over a law passed in 2023 to tamp down on lawsuit abuses in Florida through small but vital tweaks. Opponents contend it will eliminate courtroom fairness by overwriting requirements for information that both sides of a case must present.

HB 947, if passed, would enable any court-approved evidence demonstrating the actual value of medical treatments or services based on average insurance rates, rather than predefined criteria — 120% and 170% reimbursement rates for Medicare and Medicaid, respectively — currently allowed.

The measure would permit evidence in cases about the amount of health care coverage insurers are obligated to pay, reasonable and customary rates, or the amount paid under a letter of protection (LOP) for past unpaid charges. Similar evidence types for future medical treatments or services would also be admissible.

Importantly, the bill would swap the word “may” for “shall” in current statutes. Miami Republican Rep. Omar Blanco, the bill sponsor, said that change will afford plaintiffs, defendants and courts the flexibility to include any information they believe is pertinent to a case.

“This legislation aims to ensure fairness and accuracy in determining medical damages, preventing inflated claims while still safeguarding the rights of injured parties,” he said Wednesday.

Lawyer Waylan Thomson of the Florida Justice Association said he has represented insurers, businesses and private citizens suing them for injury or wrongful death, and the “only thing” HB 947 does is clarify the intent of the 2023 law.

“The current reading is ‘shall include, but not limited to,’ and then it lists five items. Well, the application (shows) some trial courts are saying that the plaintiff must introduce those things, (and) if the plaintiff does not introduce, for example, the insurance contract, then they’re prevented from seeking the damages at all,” he said. “This good bill allows the jury to see all the evidence. It just makes the defendant do their work.”

More than a dozen companies and advocacy groups, several of which spoke against the bill in its first committee hearing last week, attended Wednesday’s meeting to combat it again. Among them: the Florida Medical Association, State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance, Florida Trucking Association, Florida Retail Federation, U.S. Chamber of Commerce and Associated Industries of Florida.

Matthew Penland, Vice President of Risk Management for Jacksonville-based Cypress Truck Lines, said HB 947 is “terrifying” to him as a business owner.

“Common sense says that, hey, if I can hide this stuff, (I will, and) it’s crazy how it’s gotten to this place where you can do that kind of thing,” he said. “And it’s not really about the accident. We could have a little fender bender, a mirror slap, a scratch on the hood that has gone to exorbitant amounts of money, which costs us as a company, which eventually gets passed down.”

Blanco noted that lawmakers were able to hear “from all sides” on his bill Wednesday, and that’s the point of his legislation.

“Haven’t you appreciated getting all the information about this bill?” he said. “That’s exactly what I want of the people who are seeking justice for an injury that was no fault of theirs.”

Republican Reps. Shane Abbott of DeFuniak Springs, Tom Fabricio of Miami Lakes and Rachel Plakon of Lake Mary voted against HB 947. None asked questions or argued about the bill.

The bill’s upper-chamber companion (SB 1520) by Fort Pierce Republican Sen. Erin Grall awaits a hearing before the first of three committees to which it was referred this month.


Post Views: 0



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

How Disney World is responding as Epic Universe opens next month

Published

on


Just before Memorial Day Weekend, Universal is opening its brand-new theme park to the public — the biggest event happening in years in Orlando’s tourism industry.

So how does Disney World — home of the No. 1 theme park in the world — respond to its rival’s move?

Recently, Disney announced a series of deals and is slashing prices to help draw in visitors this Summer once Epic Universe officially opens.

Just after Epic Universe’s May 22 grand opening, Disney is rolling out a special where kids between ages 3 and 9 get 50% off tickets for three days or longer between May 27 and Sept 20. (Children under 3 already get into Disney World for free.)

Disney is also offering discounted hotel stays during the normally busy Summer months, as well as adding a free dining plan on select vacation packages.

Company CEO Bob Iger has publicly downplayed Epic Universe’s impact on Disney World.

Iger previously said he welcomes Universal Orlando’s expansion, and that any competition that brings more visitors to the community will help Disney as well.

“We’ve had competition from them for a long time. I’m mindful of what they’re doing, but I’m confident. I like our hand. I’m confident in what we built and I’m confident we will continue to build,” Iger said during a quarterly earnings call last Spring. “It’s not something that should be distracting to us or anxiety-provoking.”

Meanwhile, Disney World’s biggest answer to Epic Universe — more rides — won’t come for years.

Disney has said it could spend up to $17 billion over the 20 years in Orlando.

For instance, Disney leaders recently announced a plan to build a Villains Land at the Magic Kingdom, which has drawn excitement from fans, as well as a new “Monsters, Inc.” land at Hollywood Studios featuring a high-tech roller coaster.

Other new rides have been more controversial with the fan base, like a plan to demolish Tom Sawyer Island and fill in the Rivers of America to replace it with attractions based on the movie “Cars.” Many fans were critical when the official Disney Parks account posted an update on X.

“Don’t destroy the heart that makes Walt and Roy’s park unique,” one person wrote.


Post Views: 0



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Laurel Lee wants Ashley Moody to remain in the Senate

Published

on


U.S. Rep. Laurel Lee served on the bench with U.S. Sen. Ashley Moody when both were Judges in Hillsborough County. Now, the Congresswoman wants to continue serving with her in Congress.

Lee is endorsing Moody’s candidacy to remain in the Senate. Lee wrote about her support in an extended social media post.

“As someone who has proudly known Ashley Moody for many years, I am thrilled to endorse her to continue to serve as Florida’s U.S. Senator,” Lee said. “Ashley is not only an exceptional leader; she is a steadfast champion of conservative values, with unwavering integrity and dedication.”

The history runs deep between Lee, a Thonotosassa Republican, and Moody, a Plant City Republican. Both first held office in the 13th Judicial Circuit as Judges at a young age. Later, Moody won election as Florida Attorney General in 2018. Within months, Gov. Ron DeSantis, who won election the same year, named Lee as his Secretary of State.

Lee discussed seeing Moody in action in both those jobs.

“Her experience as a judge and Attorney General of Florida has equipped her with a profound commitment to justice and the rule of law,” Lee wrote. “Together, we have spearheaded critical legislation that bolsters public safety, enhances voter security, and supports law enforcement — key components of President (Donald) Trump’s agenda.”

Lee was elected to Congress in 2022 and secured another term in 2024. Meanwhile, DeSantis in January appointed Moody to fill an open Senate seat vacated by now-Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

At one point, there was speculation Lee might be appointed to the seat. DeSantis said he considered multiple sitting members of Congress, but ultimately could not go that way largely because Republicans hold such a small majority in the U.S. House.

Moody will stand for election in 2026, and Lee said she wants the incumbent to remain in that seat.

“Floridians will continue to benefit from her principled leadership and vision,” Lee posted. “I wholeheartedly support Ashley, and I encourage you to join me in backing a remarkable leader and dear friend. Together, we can ensure Florida’s future is strong and in experienced hands.”


Post Views: 0



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Lawrence McClure backs Ryan Gill as a ‘constitutional conservative’ successor in HD 68

Published

on


Republican Rep. Lawrence McClure is throwing his weight behind a potential successor, endorsing Ryan Gill as he runs to replace McClure in House District 68.

Gill, a fellow Republican and a local cattle rancher, is so far the only candidate filed for the race. McClure cannot seek re-election due to term limits.

“Our community needs leaders who will be relentless in pursuit of conservative, results-oriented solutions to Florida’s challenges. As a local businessman and longtime community leader, Ryan Gill will bring a Constitutional conservative’s perspective to the state Capitol. I’m proud to endorse him for the Florida House of Representatives,” McClure said.

Reps. Danny Alvarez and Mike Owen have also offered their support.

“Florida needs leaders NOW … not more politicians and Ryan Gill delivers,” Alvarez said.

“I’ve known Ryan for many years and he will fight day and night for his district. He is a pillar of our East Hillsborough community who understands how important it is that we protect our unique quality of life, stand up for our conservative values and protect our freedoms. He will be a phenomenal member and I can think of no one better to serve alongside in the Florida House.”

Owen, who previously served as a Hillsborough County Commissioner, said he’s known Gill “for many years” and trusts that “he will fight day and night for his district.”

“He understands how important it is that we protect our unique quality of life, stand up for our conservative values and protect our freedoms. I can think of no one better to serve alongside in the Florida House,” Owen said.

Gill is a cattle rancher who was born and raised in east Hillsborough. His family has cultivated the same land for more than 120 years. He and his wife of 18 years, Kaylie Gill, and their four children — EliEllaCuttler and Emma Grace — are keeping the agricultural legacy going by managing the family farming and ranching operations.

HD 68 covers a swath of northeastern Hillsborough County, including Plant City. The district is heavily Republican, with an electorate that’s 43% Republican and 27% Democrat, with the remainder composed of third- and no-party voters, according to the most recent L2 voter data.

McClure easily won re-election in the district in the only two contests since reapportionment. Last year, he defeated Democratic nominee Lisa Carpus 63%-34%. In 2022, he defeated Democratic nominee Lorissa Wright 68%-32%.

___

Drew Wilson of Florida Politics contributed to this report.


Post Views: 0



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.