Connect with us

Business

Asia tries to prepare for Trump’s ‘Liberation Day’ wave of new tariffs: ‘We’re working on this matter nonstop, even on weekends’

Published

on



Liberation Day,” in the words of U.S. President Donald Trump, is coming. The White House will formally unveil new tariffs on both friend and foe on April 2 at 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time in the Rose Garden, as the president seeks to retaliate against what he sees as mistreatment by the U.S.’s trading partners. 

Many of those trading partners are in Asia, where governments are already trying to prepare for what may be coming.

On Monday, Vietnam—which enjoys a large trade surplus with the U.S.—said it would cut import duties on a range of products including cars, food products, and liquefied natural gas. 

Vietnam has benefited from companies reshoring their supply chains away from China; the Southeast Asian country now has the third-largest trade surplus with the U.S. That’s put it high on the list of countries at risk of steep Trump tariffs—and Hanoi could be preemptively offering concessions to avoid triggering a trade war.

India is also offering to slash import taxes on agricultural products like almonds and cranberries, Reuters reported last week. The South Asian country, which had a $47.5 billion trade surplus with the U.S. last year, is reportedly considering removing some tariffs on imported goods entirely. 

Trump has grumbled about India’s tariffs on U.S. goods, which are higher than what the U.S. imposes on Indian products. The U.S. president has blasted Indian protectionism as “brutal,” even as he heaps praise on Prime Minister Narendra Modi. 

‘All countries’

Since coming into office, Trump has imposed an additional 20% tariff on Chinese goods, 25% tariffs on steel and aluminium imports, and 25% tariffs on auto imports.

There are no clear details on the tariffs coming on April 2, such as what level of duties will be imposed and what countries will be affected. Yet on Sunday, Trump suggested that tariffs would hit “all countries” as a starting point, pushing back against earlier reports that new trade measures may be more narrow in scope. 

Many Asian governments are adopting a wait-and-see approach to the tariffs ahead of Wednesday. 

U.S. allies like Japan, South Korea and Australia have tried to negotiate trade issues with Washington—as of now, with apparently little success. 

In mid-March, after failing to secure an exemption from new U.S. steel tariffs, Australia Prime Minister Anthony Albanese complained that the move was “against the spirit of our two nations’ enduring friendship.” On Tuesday, his administration reiterated that they would not offer concessions to the U.S. to get a deal. 

Japan and South Korea are both pledging to offer support to their industries in the event of new U.S. tariffs. “We’re working on this matter nonstop, even on weekends,” Japanese prime minister Shigeru Ishiba said on Tuesday. (New U.S. auto tariffs pose a threat to Japan and its automaking sector.)

Then there’s China, already subject to multiple new tariffs from the Trump administration. Beijing has responded to new import duties with its own measures, ranging from imposing retaliatory tariffs and expanding its “unreliable entities” blacklist. Chinese officials have said that they are ready to fight a “trade war, tariff war, or any other type of war”.

On Sunday, trade ministers from Japan, South Korea, and China held their first economic dialogue in five years. 

Companies getting ready too

In addition to tariffs on steel, aluminum and cars, Trump has promised new levies on semiconductor and pharmaceutical imports as well. 

Asian companies have also promised to invest in the U.S. in a likely bid to avoid new tariffs and show support for Trump’s wish to restore domestic manufacturing. 

In January, Japanese carmaker Honda pledged to increase its investment in three Ohio car plants by $300 million to expand their capability to build EVs, hybrids and internal combustion engine vehicles.  

In March, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), the world’s leading chipmaker, announced a $100 billion investment to expand its operations in Arizona, to be spent over the next four years. (Taiwan’s government is also reportedly considering purchasing more U.S. goods to reduce its trade surplus.) 

Last week, South Korean automaker Hyundai promised to invest $21 billion in American manufacturing, including a $5.8 billion steel plant in the state of Louisiana.

Yet the biggest promise comes from Japan’s Softbank. Earlier this year, Softbank, in partnership with OpenAI and Oracle, promised $500 billion in new investments in U.S.-based AI infrastructure. 

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Volkswagen working to ‘quantify the impact’ of Trump tariffs on U.S. sales

Published

on

Volkswagen said Thursday it was examining the impact of new US tariffs on foreign cars after the German auto giant was reported to be planning price hikes to offset higher import charges.

Asked about the reports, a Volkswagen spokesman told AFP that the carmaker was assessing its options.

“We have our dealers’ and customers’ best interests at heart, and once we have quantified the impact on the business we will share our strategy with our dealers,” he said.

Citing a Volkswagen memo to dealers in the United States, trade publication Automotive News reported that manufacturer planned to add an “import fee” to cars it ships into the country.

Volkswagen also indicated it would pause rail shipments of vehicles made in Mexico to the United States, Automotive News said.

US President Donald Trump gave German auto manufacturers another headache on Wednesday after he slapped 25-percent tariffs on car imports into the country.

Carmakers like Volkswagen are already struggling with a stuttering shift to electric vehicles as well as fierce Chinese competition.

Volkswagen, a 10-brand group which also includes Seat and Skoda, said in December that it would cut 35,000 jobs by 2035.

Last year, the firm sold just over one million vehicles in North America, representing 12 percent of its sales by volume.

About 65 percent of the cars it sells under its namesake brand are shipped into the United States. The same figure rises to 100 percent for its high-end Audi and Porsche brands.

Late Tuesday, the head of the German car lobby, the VDA, called on the EU to react “forcefully” to the new US tariffs and to negotiate.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

UnitedHealthcare and other major insurance companies pull company and board leadership bios from their websites after executive’s killing

Published

on

In the aftermath of the tragic shooting of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson, health insurance companies are removing web pages that list their executives and boards of directors. 

A day after Thompson was fatally gunned down outside a New York City hotel on the way to UnitedHealth Group’s investor day, company pages on the websites of major health insurers that previously listed their senior leadership teams redirected elsewhere. UnitedHealthcare is a subsidiary of UnitedHealth Group.

Executive and board of directors bios are common on most company websites, both public and private. Now it appears that major insurers including UnitedHealthcare, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, and its parent company, Elevance Health, all took down those pages, likely as precautionary measures. 

Elevance Health, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, and UnitedHealthcare did not respond to a request for comment. 

Archived versions of the web pages show that they were active on Wednesday. However, as of the publication of this article, those same URLs redirected internet users to other pages on the company’s site. 

For example, United Healthcare’s “About Us” page previously had a subheading that linked to headshots and brief bios of the company’s various executives, including Thompson. Now, that same web address redirects to the company’s homepage, uhc.com. 

Elevance Health, the Indianapolis-based health care conglomerate, also took down a site that featured its company executives. Instead that page now redirects to Elevance’s homepage. 

The website of Elevance-owned Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield performed similarly. The page that showed its executives now links only to the general landing page for the “About Us” section of the website. The insurer made headlines earlier this week over its intention to implement a new policy in New York, Missouri, and Connecticut that would limit reimbursements for anesthesia costs. However, the company pulled back on that proposal later in the week amid widespread criticism. 

The corporate world found itself grappling with the question of executive safety in the wake of Thompson’s murder. The nature of the shooting, which happened on a street corner in Midtown Manhattan, underscored the level of danger certain executives might face—even if they do not expect it. 

Across the business landscape, major corporations raised the levels of security afforded their executives. In the meantime, private security firms reported a marked increase in business inquiries since the shooting. 

Disclosure: UnitedHealth administers Fortune Media’s employer-sponsored health insurance plan. 

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

British billionaire calls for U.K. companies to pay CEOs like footballers, despite bosses making double Premier League players

Published

on



As CEOs continue to digest the fallout of the murder of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Johnson, a billionaire backer of major companies believes a pay rise is needed to attract them to the job.

Lord Michael Spencer, the billionaire British financier, is frustrated by his belief that CEOs in the U.K. deserve to be paid in the same ballpark as the Premier League’s biggest stars like Kevin De Bruyne and Erling Haaland.

“We don’t mind paying our footballers, top-rate footballers, extraordinary amounts of money,” Spencer told the FT

“Somehow that’s considered perfectly acceptable. But if the CEO of BP or HSBC earns £20 million a year, materially less than their peer group in America, everyone jumps up and down saying this is an outrage.”

He added: “The U.S. celebrates the fact that great chief executives earn large amounts of money. They want their chief executives to be paid like football stars.”

Spencer’s argument is similar to one made by Ryanair CEO Michael O’Leary in April, who used footballer pay to justify his potential €100 million bonus.

The problem with Spencer’s comments? CEOs effectively are already paid like footballers in the U.K.

Multi-millionaire CEOs are already the norm

The average FTSE 100 CEO earned £4.2 million in 2023, while FT analysis shows the average Premier League salary was £1.98 million in the same year.

Spencer was more likely suggesting that CEOs should be paid at levels similar to those of the highest paid in the Premier League. But even here, the figures are comparable.

Manchester City’s Kevin De Bruyne is thought to be the highest-paid player, earning a salary of about £400,000 per week, or £20.8 million a year. With playing-related bonuses and sponsorship deals, his income is likely millions higher.

AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot earned £16.85 million in 2023, making him the FTSE 100’s highest-paid boss. In second place was RELX’s Erik Engstrom with a £13.64 million package, while Rolls Royce’s Terfan Erginbilic earned £13.61 million. 

U.K. bosses have faced steep resistance from investors to pay rises in recent years. AstraZeneca’s Soriot saw 38.5% of shareholders reject plans for a £1.8 million pay increase in April.

Rajiv Jain, chief investment officer at top 20 shareholder GQG Partners, said Soriot was “massively underpaid” when compared with U.S. pharmaceutical CEOs.

Shareholders have been cautious to approve bumper pay rises in an era of historically high inflation that has hit those less well off the hardest. 

On the other hand, proponents of pay rises say they are required to prevent a flight of companies and talent from the U.K. Several U.K. companies have chosen to move their listings to the U.S. this year in search of better market valuations.

C-Suite in the spotlight

Spencer’s comments come at a time of deep unrest in the C-Suite. 

The murder of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson last week has brought into the spotlight executive safety at major companies.

UnitedHealthcare and other insurance companies, Elevance Health and Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, removed board leadership bios in an apparent effort to protect their privacy amid heightened safety concerns.

Fortune’s Leadership editor Ruth Umoh and reporter Natalie McCormick wrote of a growing trend of trepidation among execs to make the move to the corner office, one that could be accelerated by Johnson’s death.

Those hoping to reverse that trend argue that higher pay may be the way to go.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.