Connect with us

Business

Marine Le Pen banned from office and put under house arrest, upending France’s 2027 presidential race

Published

on



A French court on Monday sentenced far-right leader Marine Le Pen to a five-year ban on running for office with immediate effect, throwing into doubt her bid to stand for president in 2027.

The judge also gave her a four-year prison term, which is to be served with an electronic tag, drawing immediate criticism from her party and other far-right leaders.

Including 56-year-old Le Pen, nine figures from her National Rally (RN) party were convicted over a scheme where they took advantage of European Parliament expenses to employ assistants who were actually working for the party.

Twelve assistants were also convicted of concealing a crime, with the court estimating the scheme was worth 2.9 million euros.

All the RN officials including Le Pen were banned from running for office, with the judge specifying that the sanction should come into force with immediate effect even if an appeal is lodged.

“The court took into consideration, in addition to the risk of reoffending, the major disturbance of public order if a person already convicted… was a candidate in the presidential election,” said presiding judge Benedicte de Perthuis.

Three-time presidential candidate Le Pen, who scents her best-ever chance of winning the French presidency in 2027, has vehemently denied any wrongdoing.

She left the courtroom after her conviction and this sanction were announced, but before the judge announced rulings on a potential prison sentence and fine, an AFP correspondent said.

Le Pen said in a piece for the La Tribune Dimanche newspaper published on Sunday that the verdict gives the “judges the right of life or death over our movement”.

Young pretender

With her RN emerging as the single largest party in parliament after the 2024 legislative elections, Le Pen believed she has the momentum to finally take the Elysee in 2027 on the back of public concern over immigration and the cost of living.

Polls currently predict that she would easily top the first round of voting and make the second round two-candidate run-off.

The reaction from Moscow to the verdict was swift. “More and more European capitals are going down the path of violating democratic norms,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters.

“Je suis Marine!” (“I am Marine”), wrote Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, one of her main allies in the EU, on X in support.

Waiting in the wings is her protege and RN party leader Jordan Bardella, just 29, who is not under investigation in the case.

Bardella, reacting to the verdict, said French democracy was “executed” with the “unjust” verdict.

In a documentary broadcast by BFMTV late on Sunday, Le Pen for the first time explicitly gave her blessing to Bardella becoming president. “Of course he has the capacity to become president of the republic,” she said.

But there are doubts even within the party over the so-called “Plan B” and whether he has the experience for a presidential campaign.

‘Very upset’

Le Pen took over as head of the then-National Front (FN) in 2011 but rapidly took steps towards making the party an electoral force and shaking off the controversial legacy of its co-founder and her father Jean-Marie Le Pen, who died earlier this year and who was often accused of making racist and anti-Semitic comments.

She renamed it the National Rally and embarked on a policy known as “dediabolisation” (de-demonisation) with the stated aim of making it acceptable to a wider range of voters.

Prosecutors accused the party of easing pressure on its own finances by using all of the 21,000-euro monthly allowance to which MEPs were entitled to pay “fictitious” parliamentary assistants, who actually worked for the party in France.

And prosecutors argue that its “organised” nature was “strengthened” when Marine Le Pen took over as party leader in 2011.

Given her current popularity, even some opponents have expressed discomfort over the prospect of Le Pen not making it to the starting line of an election.

“There are a very significant number of our fellow French citizens who identify with Marine Le Pen’s words and her struggle, and personally I would be very upset, to put it mildly, if she were unable to run to represent them,” France’s former EU commissioner Thierry Breton told French television at the weekend.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

RFK Jr. heads to West Texas, where a second child has died from measles-related causes as outbreak nears 500 cases

Published

on

U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. traveled to West Texas on Sunday after a second unvaccinated school-aged child died from a measles-related illness.

Ahead of a “Make America Healthy Again” tour across southwestern U.S., Kennedy said in a social media post that he was in Gaines County to comfort families who had to bury two young children who have died. Seminole is the epicenter of a measles outbreak that started in late January and continues to swell, with nearly 500 cases in Texas alone.

He said he was also working with Texas health officials to “control the measles outbreak.”

The child did not have underlying health conditions, and died Thursday from “what the child’s doctors described as measles pulmonary failure,” the Texas State Department of State Health Services said Sunday in a news release. Aaron Davis, a spokesperson for UMC Health System in Lubbock, Texas, said that the child was “receiving treatment for complications of measles while hospitalized.”

This is the third known measles-related death tied to this outbreak. One was another school-aged child in Texas and the other was an adult in New Mexico. Neither were vaccinated.

Kennedy, an anti-vaccine advocate before ascending to the role of nation’s top health secretary earlier this year, has resisted urging widespread vaccinations as the measles outbreak has worsened under his watch.

“The most effective way to prevent the spread of measles is the MMR vaccine,” Kennedy said in a lengthy statement posted on X. The measles, mumps and rubella vaccine has been used safely for more than 60 years and is 97% effective against measles after two doses.

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention teams have been “redeployed,” Kennedy added, although the nation’s public health agency never relayed it had pulled back during the growing crisis. Neither the CDC nor the state health department included the death in their measles reports issued Friday, but added it to their counts Sunday.

Nationwide, the U.S. has more than double the number of measles cases it saw in all of 2024.

More than two months in, the West Texas outbreak is believed to have spread to New Mexico, Oklahoma and Kansas, sickening nearly 570 people. The World Health Organization also reported cases related to Texas in Mexico. The number of cases in Texas shot up by 81 between March 28 and April 4, and 16 more people were hospitalized.

Republican U.S. Sen. Bill Cassidy from Louisiana, a liver doctor whose vote helped cinch Kennedy’s confirmation, called Sunday for stronger messaging from health officials in a post on X.

“Everyone should be vaccinated! There is no treatment for measles. No benefit to getting measles,” he wrote. “Top health officials should say so unequivocally b/4 another child dies.”

A CDC spokesperson noted the efficacy of the measles vaccine Sunday but stopped short of calling on people to get it.

Departing from long-standing public health messaging around vaccination, the spokesperson called the decision a “personal one” and said people should talk to their doctor and “should be informed about the potential risks and benefits associated with vaccines.”

Misinformation about how to prevent and treat measles is hindering a robust public health response, including claims about vitamin A supplements that have been pushed by Kennedy and holistic medicine supporters despite doctors’ warnings that it should be given under a physician’s orders and that too much can be dangerous.

Doctors at Covenant Children’s Hospital in Lubbock, where the first measles death occurred, say they’ve treated fewer than 10 children for liver issues from vitamin A toxicity, which they found when running routine lab tests on undervaccinated children who have measles. Dr. Lara Johnson, chief medical officer, said the patients reported using vitamin A to treat and prevent the virus.

Dr. Peter Marks, the Food and Drug Administration’s former vaccine chief, said responsibility for the death rests with Kennedy and his staff. Marks was forced out of the FDA after disagreements with Kennedy over vaccine safety.

“This is the epitome of an absolute needless death,” Marks told The Associated Press in an interview Sunday. “These kids should get vaccinated — that’s how you prevent people from dying of measles.”

Marks also said he recently warned U.S. senators that more deaths would occur if the administration didn’t mount a more aggressive response to the outbreak. Kennedy has been called to testify before the Senate health committee on Thursday.

Experts and local health officials expect the outbreak to go on for several more months if not a year. In West Texas, the vast majority of cases are in unvaccinated people and children younger than 17.

With several states facing outbreaks of the vaccine-preventable disease — and declining childhood vaccination rates nationwide — some worry that measles may cost the U.S. its status as having eliminated the disease.

Measles is a respiratory virus that can survive in the air for up to two hours. Up to 9 out of 10 people who are susceptible will get the virus if exposed, according to the CDC. The first shot is recommended for children ages 12 to 15 months, and the second for ages 4 to 6 years.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Trump advisers say 50-plus countries have reached out for tariff talks

Published

on

© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

CEOs had said they’d speak out against Trump if stocks sink 20%. After the latest meltdown, they’re still silent but may be ready to act 

Published

on



  • Corporate executives who gathered at last month’s Yale CEO Caucus were surveyed on when they should collectively voice their concerns about President Donald Trump, and most said it would take a 20% drop in the stock market. The Nasdaq and Russell 2000 have already entered bear market territory, while the S&P 500 is getting closer.

CEOs have largely avoided public criticism of President Donald Trump as he rolled out his tariffs, but the recent stock market carnage may trigger a change.

Dozens of top corporate executives who gathered at last month’s Yale CEO Caucus were surveyed in an impromptu poll on when the stock market should cause them to collectively voice their concerns about Trump.

According to the Wall Street Journal, 44% of CEOs said a 20% drop, 22% said a 30% decline, 10% said a 50% crash, and 24% said it’s not their role.

The question didn’t specify the starting point for measuring the market loss. By some measures, stocks have crossed or are near the 20% threshold.

The Nasdaq and Russell 2000 have tumbled more than 20% from their 52-week highs, entering bear market territory. The S&P 500 is down 17%, and the Dow Jones Industrial Average is off 15%.

The losses are less steep, however, if you start from Trump’s inauguration or when the poll was conducted in mid-March. Still, the two-day stock rout after “Liberation Day” wiped out $6 trillion in market cap and marked the worst meltdown since the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.

To be sure, some executives have reportedly voiced concerns about tariffs behind closed doors in earlier meetings with the president and his staff. But in public, they have remained reticent to avoid angering Trump.

Yale School of Management professor Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, who organized the March summit, told the Journal on Saturday that top CEOs have expressed frustration to him, but think trade groups should more forcefully oppose the tariffs or make collective statements.

“They don’t want to be the lightning rod,” he said. “Then it becomes personalized to them.”

Similarly, an unnamed board member of a US company told the Financial Times on Friday, “You don’t want to be the barking dog for everyone else because you’re going to be the one who will get shot.”

Another corporate board member told the FT the best approach is to lobby Trump and his advisers privately and say that tariffs would hit his core constituents with higher prices and unemployment.

For its part, the Business Roundtable said in a statement on Wednesday that it supports Trump’s goal of securing fairer trade deals but warned “universal tariffs ranging from 10-50% run the risk of causing major harm to American manufacturers, workers, families and exporters.”

But there may be signs of more opposition from Corporate America.

Trump adviser Elon Musk appeared to break with the White House’s trade war on Saturday, when the Tesla CEO expressed hope for a “zero-tariff” system between the US and Europe that would create “a free-trade zone.”

And earlier on Saturday, Musk belittled White House official Peter Navarro, who was reportedly a key figure on the tariff policy, suggesting on X that his Harvard degree is “a bad thing” and that he has never built anything.

Meanwhile, tech journalist Kara Swisher posted on Threads on Friday that “a passel of high profile tech and also finance leaders is making a trip to Mar-a-Lago to read Trump the riot act — um talk common sense — to him on the tariffs.”

She added that Musk was also in their crosshairs for “his ‘idiotic chainsaw’ antics and more,” alluding to the drastic cuts to federal agencies this his Department of Government Efficiency is spearheading.

The White House and Tesla didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

On Sunday, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent gave no indication that Trump will back off from this aggressive tariffs and said there doesn’t have to be a recession, despite Wall Street pricing in greater odds of a downturn this year.

In an interview with NBC’s Meet the Press, he also downplayed the massive stock selloff as a short-term reaction.

“One thing that I can tell you, as the Treasury secretary, what I’ve been very impressed with is the market infrastructure, that we had record volume on Friday. And everything is working very smoothly so the American people, they can take great comfort in that,” he said.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.