Connect with us

Business

Liberation Day April 2 is coming: Trump has put broad-based sanctions on ‘all countries’ on the table

Published

on



  • President Trump is set to announce new tariffs on April 2, potentially escalating trade tensions with key allies and further impacting market volatility. Broad-based sanctions on “all countries” are now on the table. Analysts predict sector-wide tariffs averaging 15% across major U.S. trading partners, with potential recessionary and inflationary consequences.

‘Liberation Day’ is upon us. On Wednesday, April 2, the Trump administration is expected to make a raft of new tariff announcements, potentially escalating growing trade tensions with some of America’s closest allies.

Already, President Trump has caused market volatility by imposing tariffs on neighboring nations Canada and Mexico and two 10% tariffs on China. Hikes have also been placed on all autos and steel and aluminum products.

But he’s not done yet: This week, the Oval Office warned that further sanctions will begin on “all countries” rather than a specific list.

Markets are, perhaps unsurprisingly, volatile ahead of the announcement, which could escalate a trade war. At the time of writing the S&P500 is down 2.4% over the past five days, while the Dow Jones is also down 1.4% over the same period.

Much of this selloff happened over the weekend, when President Trump made his threat on “all” nations as well as stoking geopolitical tensions with criticism of Russia’s President Vladimir Putin.

Ahead of this week’s announcement, here’s a roundup of President Trump’s policy threats and Wall Street reaction.

The EU

While President Trump has previously said he likes the “nice little European countries” that make up the EU, he has also erroneously claimed the trade bloc was set up with the purpose of destroying the U.S.

In October, President Trump highlighted America’s trade deficit with the EU regarding autos—an issue already addressed by his vehicle tax—and the “farm products” that he said the EU doesn’t accept from the States.

They will have to pay a “big price,” Trump said at the time.

This threat has been heightened even within the last week, with President Trump saying that if the EU and Canada began working on an undisclosed deal to benefit themselves while hurting American interests, they will face sanctions “far larger than currently planned.”

As such, the EU—America’s second-largest import partner—could represent the largest shift in trade policy announced on April 2.

Previously, a Deutsche Bank survey of 400 analysts found that the medium-term expectation for EU tariffs would settle at around 18%, though this could be after a period of negotiation with hikes that initially started higher.

“We expect the administration to use a broader set of metrics to come up with country-specific tariff numbers, including the magnitude of trade imbalances, tariff differentials, VAT, digital service taxes and non-tariff barriers,” UBS economist Arend Kapteyn wrote in a note seen by Fortune this morning.

“Given that the time needed to analyze all this properly is not consistent with the April 1 deadline, this week is likely just the starting point of negotiations,” Kapteyn continued.

UBS’s base case is a 15% tariff on America’s 15 largest trade partners.

China

Despite a 60% tariff on China being the major talking point of President Trump’s campaign, so far, Bejing has only faced two hikes of 10% apiece.

Of course, this has been framed as a sanction against the flow of deadly drugs—such as fentanyl—coming into the U.S. from China. However, President Trump’s bid to rebalance trade with China could result in further sanctions this week.

“We had penciled in 60% tariffs for China because that was what Trump campaigned on, but there is clearly scope for tariffs to be lower,” Kapteyn added.

Having announced its own reciprocal tariffs, China has fared remarkably well despite the growing tensions with the U.S.

Bank of America economists Helen Qiao and Anna Zhou identified a number of factors for the boost in market sentiment. In a note seen by Fortune, the pair wrote: “China still managed to post a 2.3% yoy increase in exports in Jan-Feb … But even before the boost from macro data strength … investor sentiment had already recovered.

“A confluence of factors are at play, including: 1) a technology breakthrough (i.e. the introduction of DeepSeek-R1 and the rise of humanoid robots); 2) the unprecedented success of Chinese animation movie Ne Zha 2; and 3) the symposium between President Xi and tech leaders on February 17 that provided a measure of reassurance around incentive improvement.”

Russia

President Trump has also threatened further economic sanctions against Russia if the U.S.-brokered ceasefire talks between Putin’s nation and Ukraine do not go ahead.

“If Russia and I are unable to make a deal on stopping the bloodshed in Ukraine, and if I think it was Russia’s fault — which it might not be — but if I think it was Russia’s fault, I am going to put secondary tariffs on oil, on all oil coming out of Russia,” President Trump told NBC News on Sunday.

He doubled down: “That would be that if you buy oil from Russia, you can’t do business in the United States. There will be a 25% tariff on all oil, a 25- to 50-point tariff on all oil.”

A universal tariff?

Thus far, Trump has targeted specific countries with their own tariff levels rather than announcing a blanket hike for all imports into the U.S.

A so-called universal tariff has been highlighted as potentially recessionary and inflationary by JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon, but it is looking increasingly likely with Trump’s talk of an “all countries” policy.

Over the weekend, Goldman Sachs upped its tariff assumptions, per a note from economists Ronnie Walker, Alec Phillips, and David Mericle.

“We expect President Trump to announce reciprocal tariffs that average 15% across all U.S. trading partners on April 2, although we expect product and country exclusions to ultimately whittle the addition to the average U.S. tariff rate down to 9pp,” the note seen by Fortune reads.

The trio also increased their core PCE inflation forecast by 0.5pp to 3.5% year over year and shifted their recession expectation from 20% to 35%.

In late January, Thierry Wizman, global FX and rates strategist at Macquarie, suggested that sector-level universal tariffs are likelier than threats against allied nations because “permanent sector-level universal tariffs are more consistent with WTO rules than country-specific tariffs, and so are likelier to withstand legal challenge.”

He added in the note seen by Fortune: “To Trump, universal tariffs also serve the public-policy imperative of raising revenue for the U.S. government, thus perhaps justifying corporate tax rates to be cut, an important agenda item for the administration.”

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Trump advisers say 50-plus countries have reached out for tariff talks

Published

on

© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

CEOs had said they’d speak out against Trump if stocks sink 20%. After the latest meltdown, they’re still silent but may be ready to act 

Published

on



  • Corporate executives who gathered at last month’s Yale CEO Caucus were surveyed on when they should collectively voice their concerns about President Donald Trump, and most said it would take a 20% drop in the stock market. The Nasdaq and Russell 2000 have already entered bear market territory, while the S&P 500 is getting closer.

CEOs have largely avoided public criticism of President Donald Trump as he rolled out his tariffs, but the recent stock market carnage may trigger a change.

Dozens of top corporate executives who gathered at last month’s Yale CEO Caucus were surveyed in an impromptu poll on when the stock market should cause them to collectively voice their concerns about Trump.

According to the Wall Street Journal, 44% of CEOs said a 20% drop, 22% said a 30% decline, 10% said a 50% crash, and 24% said it’s not their role.

The question didn’t specify the starting point for measuring the market loss. By some measures, stocks have crossed or are near the 20% threshold.

The Nasdaq and Russell 2000 have tumbled more than 20% from their 52-week highs, entering bear market territory. The S&P 500 is down 17%, and the Dow Jones Industrial Average is off 15%.

The losses are less steep, however, if you start from Trump’s inauguration or when the poll was conducted in mid-March. Still, the two-day stock rout after “Liberation Day” wiped out $6 trillion in market cap and marked the worst meltdown since the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.

To be sure, some executives have reportedly voiced concerns about tariffs behind closed doors in earlier meetings with the president and his staff. But in public, they have remained reticent to avoid angering Trump.

Yale School of Management professor Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, who organized the March summit, told the Journal on Saturday that top CEOs have expressed frustration to him, but think trade groups should more forcefully oppose the tariffs or make collective statements.

“They don’t want to be the lightning rod,” he said. “Then it becomes personalized to them.”

Similarly, an unnamed board member of a US company told the Financial Times on Friday, “You don’t want to be the barking dog for everyone else because you’re going to be the one who will get shot.”

Another corporate board member told the FT the best approach is to lobby Trump and his advisers privately and say that tariffs would hit his core constituents with higher prices and unemployment.

For its part, the Business Roundtable said in a statement on Wednesday that it supports Trump’s goal of securing fairer trade deals but warned “universal tariffs ranging from 10-50% run the risk of causing major harm to American manufacturers, workers, families and exporters.”

But there may be signs of more opposition from Corporate America.

Trump adviser Elon Musk appeared to break with the White House’s trade war on Saturday, when the Tesla CEO expressed hope for a “zero-tariff” system between the US and Europe that would create “a free-trade zone.”

And earlier on Saturday, Musk belittled White House official Peter Navarro, who was reportedly a key figure on the tariff policy, suggesting on X that his Harvard degree is “a bad thing” and that he has never built anything.

Meanwhile, tech journalist Kara Swisher posted on Threads on Friday that “a passel of high profile tech and also finance leaders is making a trip to Mar-a-Lago to read Trump the riot act — um talk common sense — to him on the tariffs.”

She added that Musk was also in their crosshairs for “his ‘idiotic chainsaw’ antics and more,” alluding to the drastic cuts to federal agencies this his Department of Government Efficiency is spearheading.

The White House and Tesla didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

On Sunday, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent gave no indication that Trump will back off from this aggressive tariffs and said there doesn’t have to be a recession, despite Wall Street pricing in greater odds of a downturn this year.

In an interview with NBC’s Meet the Press, he also downplayed the massive stock selloff as a short-term reaction.

“One thing that I can tell you, as the Treasury secretary, what I’ve been very impressed with is the market infrastructure, that we had record volume on Friday. And everything is working very smoothly so the American people, they can take great comfort in that,” he said.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Is the CEO of the heavily funded humanoid robot startup Figure AI exaggerating his startup’s work with BMW?

Published

on



When Figure AI, a high-profile humanoid robot startup, announced a commercial agreement with automaker BMW early last year, it was a signal to venture investors and the rest of the robotics industry that the young company was one of the innovators to watch – and to beat – in this cutting edge sector.

Recent comments by Figure founder and CEO Brett Adcock, along with videos produced by the company, gave the impression that a new era of robo-manufacturing was firmly at hand. But a closer look at the details of the partnership reveals a far more modest affair – at least currently – that suggests Figure’s humanoid car-building workforce may be as much hype as reality and which raises questions about the sincerity of Adcock’s comments. 

Up until sometime in March, a Figure robot at BMW’s South Carolina factory operated only during off-hours, practicing picking up and placing parts in the plant’s body shop, according to a BMW spokesperson — even though Adcock boasted in February that a “fleet” of Figure’s humanoid robots were already performing “end-to-end operations” for the carmaker. More recently, that same robot work has moved into live production hours but involves a single Figure robot performing the same limited chore, the spokesperson said. 

BMW declined to comment on the disparities between what Adcock had publicized in February and what the auto giant said was the reality at the time, referring those questions to Adcock. The serial entrepreneur and representatives for the company have not responded to requests for clarification or comment. 

The questions come as sci-fi like humanoid robots are having a moment. While Elon Musk-directed efforts to build a humanoid called Optimus inside Tesla has played a central role in building hype for the futuristic form factor, Figure’s commercial agreement stood out as one of the first real-world deployments in the U.S. Figure has raised more than $700 million since its 2022 founding from investors including Microsoft, Nvidia, Intel Capital, and Jeff Bezos, via his investment firm. Reuters reported in February that Figure AI was attempting to raise another $1.5 billion at a valuation approaching $40 billion. 

Other tech giants, from Nvidia to OpenAI, have all launched robot-focused initiatives as expectations build for a potential market opportunity that investment management firm ARK pegged in the trillions of dollars in a bullish report last fall. Agility Robotics, which inked a deal for its own humanoids to move containers inside a Spanx apparel warehouse, is reportedly raising $400 million. That comes after Austin-based Apptronik and Sunnyvale, Calif.-based X1 recently raised $350 million and $100 million in funding, respectively. 

When Figure announced the BMW partnership in January of 2024, a press release described the agreement as “a milestone-based” staged approach. While Figure referred to  a “commercial” agreement, none of the parties have disclosed the financial terms nor duration of the deal.

How many droids make a ‘fleet’?

Among the mechanical bipeds vying for a piece of the pie, Figure’s humanoids are among the sharpest-looking. Compared to some of the bulkier or clumsy-looking droids made by other companies, the matte-gray-and-black Figure 02 model cuts a sleek figure, with six cameras for eyes, on-board AI, and hands dexterous enough to pour a glass of milk.

In February, Adcock reminded his LinkedIn network that the BMW deal had been inked one year earlier, writing, “We signed our first commercial customer, BMW, a year ago,” his LinkedIn post read. “We currently have a fleet of robots performing end-to-end operations.”

At the time, I reached out to BMW to try to get more details on the fleet of robots and what the end-to-end operations entailed. To my surprise, though, BMW spokesperson Steve Wilson said there was only a single Figure robot working in their South Carolina auto plant at any given time, and that the humanoid was picking up and maneuvering parts “during non-production hours.” When later pressed, Wilson would not say if these one-robot tests were due to there being just one solitary Figure humanoid at the factory, or if the carmaker had multiple Figure humanoids taking turns practicing tasks. 

He added that “very soon, the Figure robot will begin loading parts for short intervals during live production,” but declined to offer a more specific timeline. This would be similar work to that which was being tested in off-hours, but in a real production environment. 

The production-hours work that Figure’s humanoid would eventually do, Wilson explained, would involve a single robot performing a single task at any given time, in the plant’s body shop – where metal sheet panels are eventually assembled to form the vehicle’s chassis. According to Wilson, the robot would pick up “parts with two hands from a logistics container and place the parts onto a fixture” inside a contained work cell where another type of robot would “begin welding the parts together.” It sounded like a far more limited job than the “end-to-end operations” that Adcock said his droids were already doing.

In early March, Adcock discussed the BMW deal while speaking at a conference. “We actually have them running everyday now,” he said of the humanoids. “They’re there today running in their largest plant.” It’s not clear if BMW had by then started using Figure’s robot technology for production work, but even if it were the case, Adcock’s description once again seemed to stretch the scope of the project versus what was described by the BMW official. 

Turn the music up!

On Monday, Adcock posted a new video to LinkedIn that made clear the Figure humanoid was now officially doing production work at BMW’s factory. “BMW X Figure Update,” the CEO said. “This isn’t a test—this is what autonomous robots in production operations look like. Turn the music up!”

The video indeed displayed the type of work that the BMW official had described–a Figure robot retrieving metal pieces from a mobile shelf, and then walking them over to a work cell where it places them onto a fixture in preparation for welding by other automated equipment. A second Figure robot stood idle next to the one performing the task, before the video zoomed out to show a highly automated plant of which Figure is currently playing a small role. 

Was that second robot part of the “fleet” that Adcock had described, and would it swing into action when the first humanoid ran out of juice? Or was it just a marketing prop? BMW wouldn’t say and Figure is not responding to queries.

No one, especially BMW, is denying that the partnership with Figure is real, nor that the luxury car brand is testing use of the humanoid robot in one of its plants. In fact, Wilson, the BMW spokesperson, said the company will reveal more details during an onsite press event in May. 

But the seeming discrepancies in such a high-profile and potentially seminal deal raise awkward questions for an industry that still needs to prove it’s more than just glossy demo videos and founder-fueled hype. When it comes to humanoids, as with humans, trust is key.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.