Connect with us

Business

Trump seeks even more aggressive tariffs to fundamentally transform the US economy and eyes a single universal duty, report says

Published

on



  • President Donald Trump is pressing his staff to take a harder stance on tariffs as part of an effort to transform the US economy, sources told the Washington Post. That could include a universal tariff that hits most imports without regard to the country of origin. The discussions come right before April 2, which Trump has billed as “Liberation Day,” when his next batch of tariffs will be unveiled.

As part of an effort to fundamentally transform the US economy, President Donald Trump has been pushing his staff to get even more aggressive on tariffs, sources told the Washington Post.

That could include a universal tariff that hits most imports, no matter which country they are from, the report said, adding that Trump views a single duty as less likely to be watered down by exemptions.

Intense discussions are ongoing ahead of April 2, which Trump has billed as “Liberation Day,” when his next batch of tariffs will be unveiled.

For now, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent’s “dirty 15” plan to set tariffs on the 15% of countries that the administration considers the worst trading partners is seen as the most likely outcome, according to the Post.

“There’s still a lot of options still on the table. They are considering everything and trying very hard to make the idea of a reciprocal tariff both understandable to the American public and effective,” Wilbur Ross, Trump’s commerce secretary during his first term, told the Post. “They are quite correctly exploring every alternative in the hope they come to the best possible solution.”

The White House didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Trump has already slapped tariffs on China, Canada, Mexico, steel, aluminum and autos, while threatening duties on pharmaceuticals, chips, lumber and the European Union.

He said reciprocal tariffs would come out on April 2, but suggested he would show some “flexibility.” And earlier reports that said those would be more targeted raised hopes on Wall Street that their impact would be less severe.

But after stocks rallied, his announcement of the auto tariffs on Wednesday contributed to another selloff, which was also fueled by signs that tariffs were worsening inflation and consumers’ expectations of future inflation.

Chicago Fed President Austan Goolsbee recently warned that inflation expectations could become a self-fulfilling prophecy, and Boston Fed President Susan Collins has said tariff-induced inflation “looks inevitable,” adding that he suspects the central bank will hold rates steady for longer.

After their most recent policy meeting this month, Fed officials lowered their forecasts for economic growth and raised their inflation estimates, raising the specter of “stagflation.”

Meanwhile, surveys of consumers and businesses show that they are turning increasingly gloomy about the economy amid tariff uncertainty and mass federal layoffs. Even executives in deep-red states that voted for Trump say business conditions are collapsing.

And economists have been hiking recession odds, with some even seeing a 50-50 chance of a downturn.

Fitch Ratings previously estimated that If Trump carries out all his plans, the effective US tariff rate could hit 18% on average—the highest level in 90 years. 

Trump has acknowledged Americans will feel “some pain” from his tariffs but that they are necessary to revitalize US manufacturing and rebalance trade to more favorable terms.

While several companies have pledged to set up more factories in the US, Wall Street has warned that tariffs meant to reshuffle the auto sector, which has closely integrated supply chains across Canada and Mexico, will create chaos.

Still, the White House said the Trump administration is committed to delivering on his vision restore the US industrial base.

“America cannot just be an assembler of foreign-made parts—we must become a manufacturing powerhouse that dominates every step of the supply chain of industries that are critical for our national security and economic interests,” spokesman Kush Desai previously told Fortune.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

UnitedHealthcare and other major insurance companies pull company and board leadership bios from their websites after executive’s killing

Published

on

In the aftermath of the tragic shooting of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson, health insurance companies are removing web pages that list their executives and boards of directors. 

A day after Thompson was fatally gunned down outside a New York City hotel on the way to UnitedHealth Group’s investor day, company pages on the websites of major health insurers that previously listed their senior leadership teams redirected elsewhere. UnitedHealthcare is a subsidiary of UnitedHealth Group.

Executive and board of directors bios are common on most company websites, both public and private. Now it appears that major insurers including UnitedHealthcare, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, and its parent company, Elevance Health, all took down those pages, likely as precautionary measures. 

Elevance Health, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, and UnitedHealthcare did not respond to a request for comment. 

Archived versions of the web pages show that they were active on Wednesday. However, as of the publication of this article, those same URLs redirected internet users to other pages on the company’s site. 

For example, United Healthcare’s “About Us” page previously had a subheading that linked to headshots and brief bios of the company’s various executives, including Thompson. Now, that same web address redirects to the company’s homepage, uhc.com. 

Elevance Health, the Indianapolis-based health care conglomerate, also took down a site that featured its company executives. Instead that page now redirects to Elevance’s homepage. 

The website of Elevance-owned Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield performed similarly. The page that showed its executives now links only to the general landing page for the “About Us” section of the website. The insurer made headlines earlier this week over its intention to implement a new policy in New York, Missouri, and Connecticut that would limit reimbursements for anesthesia costs. However, the company pulled back on that proposal later in the week amid widespread criticism. 

The corporate world found itself grappling with the question of executive safety in the wake of Thompson’s murder. The nature of the shooting, which happened on a street corner in Midtown Manhattan, underscored the level of danger certain executives might face—even if they do not expect it. 

Across the business landscape, major corporations raised the levels of security afforded their executives. In the meantime, private security firms reported a marked increase in business inquiries since the shooting. 

Disclosure: UnitedHealth administers Fortune Media’s employer-sponsored health insurance plan. 

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

British billionaire calls for U.K. companies to pay CEOs like footballers, despite bosses making double Premier League players

Published

on



As CEOs continue to digest the fallout of the murder of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Johnson, a billionaire backer of major companies believes a pay rise is needed to attract them to the job.

Lord Michael Spencer, the billionaire British financier, is frustrated by his belief that CEOs in the U.K. deserve to be paid in the same ballpark as the Premier League’s biggest stars like Kevin De Bruyne and Erling Haaland.

“We don’t mind paying our footballers, top-rate footballers, extraordinary amounts of money,” Spencer told the FT

“Somehow that’s considered perfectly acceptable. But if the CEO of BP or HSBC earns £20 million a year, materially less than their peer group in America, everyone jumps up and down saying this is an outrage.”

He added: “The U.S. celebrates the fact that great chief executives earn large amounts of money. They want their chief executives to be paid like football stars.”

Spencer’s argument is similar to one made by Ryanair CEO Michael O’Leary in April, who used footballer pay to justify his potential €100 million bonus.

The problem with Spencer’s comments? CEOs effectively are already paid like footballers in the U.K.

Multi-millionaire CEOs are already the norm

The average FTSE 100 CEO earned £4.2 million in 2023, while FT analysis shows the average Premier League salary was £1.98 million in the same year.

Spencer was more likely suggesting that CEOs should be paid at levels similar to those of the highest paid in the Premier League. But even here, the figures are comparable.

Manchester City’s Kevin De Bruyne is thought to be the highest-paid player, earning a salary of about £400,000 per week, or £20.8 million a year. With playing-related bonuses and sponsorship deals, his income is likely millions higher.

AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot earned £16.85 million in 2023, making him the FTSE 100’s highest-paid boss. In second place was RELX’s Erik Engstrom with a £13.64 million package, while Rolls Royce’s Terfan Erginbilic earned £13.61 million. 

U.K. bosses have faced steep resistance from investors to pay rises in recent years. AstraZeneca’s Soriot saw 38.5% of shareholders reject plans for a £1.8 million pay increase in April.

Rajiv Jain, chief investment officer at top 20 shareholder GQG Partners, said Soriot was “massively underpaid” when compared with U.S. pharmaceutical CEOs.

Shareholders have been cautious to approve bumper pay rises in an era of historically high inflation that has hit those less well off the hardest. 

On the other hand, proponents of pay rises say they are required to prevent a flight of companies and talent from the U.K. Several U.K. companies have chosen to move their listings to the U.S. this year in search of better market valuations.

C-Suite in the spotlight

Spencer’s comments come at a time of deep unrest in the C-Suite. 

The murder of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson last week has brought into the spotlight executive safety at major companies.

UnitedHealthcare and other insurance companies, Elevance Health and Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, removed board leadership bios in an apparent effort to protect their privacy amid heightened safety concerns.

Fortune’s Leadership editor Ruth Umoh and reporter Natalie McCormick wrote of a growing trend of trepidation among execs to make the move to the corner office, one that could be accelerated by Johnson’s death.

Those hoping to reverse that trend argue that higher pay may be the way to go.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Europe has caught a workplace absenteeism bug costing it billions of euros

Published

on

© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.