Connect with us

Business

The housing market now has more ‘downside risks’: layoffs from DOGE and the trade war

Published

on



  • Apollo Chief Economist Torsten Slok said layoffs from Elon Musk’s Department of Government Efficiency and Trump’s trade war could pose a threat to housing, which had a decent month of sales in an otherwise frozen market. A higher unemployment rate would only make matters worse.

It was a week of back-to-back housing data that revealed some positive and some negative manifestations in the market. But there is an unanticipated development to watch out for: the Department of Government Efficiency run by the richest man in the world, Elon Musk.

“Downside risks to the housing market are layoffs because of DOGE and any potential layoffs because of trade war uncertainty,” Apollo Chief Economist Torsten Slok told Fortune in a statement, referring to the administration’s back-and-forth tariffs. “If the unemployment rate starts to go up it would be a downside risk to housing.”

There are mass layoffs occurring in the federal government—part of Musk’s and his non-cabinet level body’s cost-cutting. A person is less likely to consider buying a home if they’ve just lost their job. 

Until now, that had not necessarily been an issue in the post-pandemic housing world. Instead, home sales are depressed because people can’t afford to buy after prices skyrocketed during the pandemic and mortgage rates followed; others aren’t selling either because they don’t want to lose their low mortgage rate. So if sales, mostly existing home sales, are already at recessionary levels and unemployment goes up, it would not be good.

DOGE and the White House press office did not respond to Fortune’s request for comment.

Layoffs would come just as there are some signals home sales could be taking a turn for the better. The data released throughout the week showed solid job and wage growth is boosting demand for housing, according to Slok. But the positive home sales numbers might not be so positive when you consider the big picture, other economists told Fortune

In February, sales of newly constructed homes rose 1.8% from a month earlier and 5.1% from a year earlier, per government data released Tuesday. Pending home sales rose 2% in February compared to a month ago but fell 3.6% compared to a year ago, per data released Thursday. 

That “suggests improved home buying activity” after January’s weak numbers, Wells Fargo Senior Economist Charles Dougherty said. “Zooming out, however, the message is that adverse affordability conditions continue to weigh significantly on the housing sector.”

Dougherty explained that the month-over-month pending home sales bounce is encouraging because it means they aren’t in free fall. But they’re still lethargic and near record lows. When it comes to new home sales, they continue to outdo existing sales because homebuilders can offer what sellers can’t: incentives such as mortgage rate buydowns. But new home sales have basically been flat over the past several months, Dougherty mentioned. 

Existing home sales data came out last week and showed sales rose 4.2% in February from January but slipped 1.2% from a year ago.

Selma Hepp, chief economist for Cotality, formerly CoreLogic, echoed Dougherty, saying that activity is low compared to historical trends, despite the slight uptick. 

Meanwhile, high home prices and mortgage rates continue to weigh on affordability and limit a housing market recovery, Sam Williamson, senior economist at First American Financial, said. Home prices rose 4.1% in January, per the S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller Index, which was reported Tuesday. This is in line with the recent trend of slower appreciation but an increase nonetheless.

The average 30-year fixed mortgage rate came in at 6.65% for Freddie Mac’s weekly reading Thursday, a two-basis-point drop. That is an improvement, but mortgage rates are nowhere near their pandemic rock bottom of sub-3% that people became accustomed to. The high home price, high mortgage combination has eroded affordability and that can’t be reversed because of some favorable data.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

China hits back at Trump’s tariffs with an antitrust investigation into Google and a new 15% tax on U.S. coal and gas

Published

on



U.S. President Donald Trump fired the “opening salvo” of his second trade war on Tuesday as a new 10% levy on Chinese goods came into effect. 

Beijing retaliated soon after. China will impose a 15% tariff on imports of U.S. coal and liquefied natural gas, and a 10% tariff on crude oil, agricultural machinery, large engine cars, and pickup trucks, according to a statement from the Ministry of Finance.

Separately, China’s State Administration for Market Regulation said it would launch an investigation into Google for alleged anticompetitive practices. The SAMR’s statement did not elaborate on how Google may have violated the law. 

Google withdrew its search product from China in 2010 because of concerns over censorship, yet it still maintains offices in the country for its advertising business. 

China is increasingly flexing its antitrust muscles against non-Chinese tech companies. In 2023, the SAMR scuttled a deal between Intel and Tower Semiconductor by failing to give timely approval for the merger. Then, last December, China announced it was launching an anti-monopoly probe into Nvidia over its acquisition of Mellanox Technologies. 

Finally, China designated Calvin Klein owner PVH Corp. and biotech company Illumina as “unreliable entities,” a designation that could lead to punitive actions by Beijing. Last September, Beijing said it would investigate PVH for allegedly boycotting cotton grown in Xinjiang. 

How are markets reacting to new tariffs?

On Monday, the U.S. delayed the imposition of new tariffs on China and Mexico by 30 days. Trump said he held off on the new taxes after both countries agreed to deploy troops to reinforce their respective borders with the U.S.

Trump also said that he could speak to Chinese President Xi Jinping as soon as this week. The two leaders last spoke via phone on Jan. 17, days before Trump took office. 

Asian markets rose on Tuesday, though gains were pared back slightly as both U.S. tariffs came into effect, followed by China’s announced retaliation. Investors were particularly optimistic about Chinese tech companies, with the Hang Seng Tech Index rising by almost 4.5%.

The CSI 300 index, which tracks the top 300 companies traded in Shanghai and Shenzhen, dipped by 0.28% in early trading on Wednesday. Markets in mainland China have been closed since Jan. 28 owing to the Chinese New Year holiday.

Why is Trump imposing new tariffs on China?

Trump has suggested that the new 10% tariff is the result of China not doing enough to control the flow of fentanyl into the U.S. Beijing and Washington have had some cooperation over fentanyl in recent years, including a counter-narcotics working group that was launched in January last year.

On Tuesday, China’s Ministry of Finance accused the U.S. of violating the rules of the World Trade Organization, and said new tariffs wouldn’t help the U.S. resolve its own problems. 

The new Trump tariff could subtract 0.4 percentage points from China’s 2025 GDP growth, Larry Hu, Macquarie’s chief China economist, estimated in a note published Monday. Hu calculated that new stimulus of 500 billion yuan ($70 billion) could offset the drag on growth.  

Correction Feb. 5, 2025: This piece has been updated with the latest CSI 300 benchmark movements as an earlier version incorrectly stated that mainland Chinese markets opened on Feb. 4

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Trump’s threat to EV trucking rules undermines big-rig bets

Published

on

© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Premier’s 100 Top Hospitals 2025: Community Hospitals

Published

on

© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.