Connect with us

Sports

Kameron Misner Blasts Walk-Off Homer, Rays Defeat Rockies 3-2

Published

on


Tampa Bay Rays’ Kameron Misner, second from right, celebrates with Christopher Morel, left, Jonny DeLuca and Junior Caminero after hitting a walk-off home run off Colorado Rockies pitcher Victor Vodnik during the ninth inning of a baseball game Friday, March 28, 2025, in Tampa, Fla. (AP Photo/Chris O’Meara)

Tampa, FL – Kameron Misner blasted a walk-off homer in the bottom of the ninth to lead the Tampa Bay Rays to a 3-2 Opening Day victory over the Colorado Rockies. Pete Fairbanks picks up the win while Victor Vodnik takes the loss.

Misner’s became the first major league player to hit his first career homer as a walk-off homer on Opening Day. “That was pretty spectacular.” Manager Kevin Cash said after the game. “He had a little of time to think about it while he was on defense. I think he was pretty committed to swinging, got pitch he could handle and knocked it out.”

A remarkable set of circumstances led to Misner stepping into the batters box Friday afternoon. He had already travelled to Durham after the conclusion of spring training but was summoned back after the injury to Richie Palacios (broken finger). He started the game on the bench but entered the game when Josh Lowe departed with what is being described as a sore oblique. All three Rays runs were driven in by players who started the day on the bench.

The Rays had entered the bottom of the seventh trailing Colorado 2-0. Jonathan Aranda delivered a sacrifice fly to cut the Rockies lead to 2-1 and Jose Caballero who had entered the game as a pinch runner for Josh Lowe and remained in the game in right field singled to score he game tying run.

Ryan Pepiot worked the fist six innings for the Ray and allowed just a pair of runs (one earned0 on six hits while striking out eight and walking one. Hunter Bigge, Mason Montgomery, and Pete Fairbanks each worked a scoreless inning out of the bullpen. After the game Kevin Cash was most impressed with Pepiot’s composure while making his first Opening Day start. “There were some circumstances that didn’t go our way early on and he held it together really well. For his part, Pepiot said after the game that he talked to Shane McClanahan about handling the emotions on Opening Day.

Rockies starter Kyle Freeland stymied the Rays over six innings allowing a pair of runs on two hits while striking out seven and walking none.

UP NEXT FOR RAYS:

The Rays and Rockies play the second of three games on Saturday afternoon at 4:10 p.m. Zack Littell will make his season debut for Tampa Bay while the Rockies will send Antonio Senzatela to the mound.





Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Let’em Run: Switching It Up for a High-Stakes Race Weekend

Published

on





Aqueduct race track

This weekend, we’re changing things up on Let’em Run! Instead of Gulfstream Park, our focus shifts to Aqueduct, where the Wood Memorial headlines an exciting slate of races. With the Santa Anita Derby featuring only five entries (and potentially just four by post time), we’ve opted to pass on covering that race. However, we still have an action-packed schedule, including the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct and the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland, which has been rescheduled to Tuesday, April 8th, due to inclement weather.

Aqueduct Selections – Saturday, April 5, 2025

The Gazelle Stakes (G3) Race 9 – 4:34 PM EST | 1 1/8 Miles Dirt |

  • #2 Ballerina d’Oro – Returns to Aqueduct after an impressive second-place finish two back. With Dylan Davis riding for Chad Brown, she has the closing kick needed to capitalize on a strong pace set by speedsters (#1, #3, #8).
  • The switch to dirt has unlocked her potential.
  • #3 Vanilla Sundae – The Todd Pletcher-Repole Stable duo keeps Manny Franco aboard. Dominated last out by 15 lengths and was eased up late. This Gun Runner filly won’t mind an off track.

The Carter Stakes (G2) Race 10 – 5:06 PM EST | 7 Furlongs Dirt |

  • #2 Quint’s Brew – Third off the layoff and Mychel Sanchez’s only mount. Seeking a third consecutive win and could be undefeated but for trouble three starts back. Trainer wins at a 35% clip when last-race winners return.
  • #4 Full Moon Madness – Kendrick Carmouche, the 7-furlong wizard, teams up with this Aqueduct specialist. Prime Power #1, stretching out to 7F, should make him a major player.
  • #7 Maximus Meridius – Joel Rosario reunites with Butch Reid’s consistent colt. Loves Aqueduct and has the speed to be involved early.

The Excelsior ($150K) Race 11 – 5:38 PM EST | 1 1/4 Miles Dirt |

  • #4 Crupi – Class relief could be key. Has battled top-tier competition (White Abarrio, Skippylongstocking, Tapit Trice) but finds a softer spot here. Dylan Davis stays aboard.
  • #8 Masmak – Consistent runner (4 wins, 1 second in 5 Aqueduct starts). First time at this distance, but Manny Franco’s patient ride should suit.
  • #6 Phileas Fogg – Kendrick Carmouche (2-for-2 with trainer Rodriguez) gets the mount. If the track is off, stock rises further.

The Wood Memorial (G2) Race 12 – 6:10 PM EST | 1 1/8 Miles Dirt |

  • #5 Sand Devil – Needs points to qualify for the Derby. Speed of the speed, loves Aqueduct, and trainer Linda Rice is red-hot.
  • #8 Passion Rules – Undefeated and trained by Brad Cox. Carmouche pulled off an upset in this race last year—can he do it again?
  • #2 Captain Cook – Likely favorite. Needs a win for Derby eligibility. Already victorious at this distance, and workouts suggest readiness.

Race 13 – 6:44 PM EST | 7 Furlongs Dirt | OC 45K/N2X

  • #10 Sohana – Big class drop for Brad Cox (38% off this kind of layoff). Rosario takes over.
  • #5 Ariana Rye – Speed threat with jockey Sophie Vives, who knows her well.
  • #3 Dolomite – Consistently firing, finished second three times in a row. Manny Franco stays up.

Toyota Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland – Rescheduled to Tuesday, April 8, 2025

Due to weather concerns, Keeneland’s entire Saturday card has been moved to Tuesday. The Toyota Blue Grass Stakesremains a pivotal Derby prep race.

Race 10 – 5:52 PM EST | 1 1/8 Miles Dirt | The Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (G1)

  • #5 East Avenue – Blinkers on for sharpness. Working out well and primed for a big return effort.
  • #1 River Thames – Likely favorite. Irad Ortiz Jr. takes over for Velazquez. Should benefit from a ground-saving trip from the rail.
  • #3 Burnham Square – Best value and a strong upset candidate. Brian Hernandez Jr. takes the reins.

Don’t Miss Our Live Coverage!

Join us for One Horse Wonders on Thursday at 8 PM EST on Capital Sports Network for our latest insights, and catch our updated program Saturday at 12:30 PM EST for race-day analysis. This is the biggest weekend for Kentucky Derby hopefuls—don’t miss a second of the action!







Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Isak Joins Cole & Shearer in Newcastle’s Hallowed Ranks

Published

on


Alexander Isak has already lea Newcastle United to a trophy

Alexander Isak continues to etch his name into Newcastle United’s history books, equalling an incredible club record shared by legends Andrew Cole and Alan Shearer. The Swedish striker reached a milestone on Wednesday night, scoring his 20th Premier League goal of the season in Newcastle’s hard-fought 2-1 victory over Brentford at St. James’ Park.

His crucial goal came just before half-time, with Jacob Murphy providing the assist. Isak’s instinctive finish not only gave Newcastle the lead but also cemented his place among the club’s all-time greats. The 25-year-old became only the third player in Newcastle’s Premier League history to score 10 or more goals at both home and away in a single season—an elite club previously occupied solely by Shearer and Cole.

Shearer, Newcastle’s all-time leading scorer, was the last player to achieve the feat in the 2001-02 season, while Cole first set the benchmark in the 1993-94 campaign. Now, over two decades later, Isak has matched their incredible achievements, underlining his status as one of the Premier League’s most clinical forwards.

A Thrilling Encounter at St. James’ Park

Newcastle’s clash with Brentford was far from straightforward. Despite taking the lead through Isak, the Magpies saw their advantage erased in the second half when Brentford forward Bryan Mbeumo found the net in the 66th minute. His well-taken strike momentarily shifted momentum in the visitors’ favor.

However, Newcastle responded swiftly. Italian midfielder Sandro Tonali, who has grown into a key figure in the Magpies’ midfield, restored the lead in the 74th minute with a composed finish. The goal ultimately proved to be the winner, ensuring Eddie Howe’s side secured all three points and kept pace in the race for a coveted top-four finish.

Isak Continues Sensational Season

Isak has been a revelation for Newcastle this season. Since his arrival from Real Sociedad, he has established himself as the club’s talisman, delivering in crucial moments and stepping up when it matters most. His goal against Brentford was yet another example of his ice-cold composure in front of goal.

His form has been instrumental in Newcastle’s strong campaign, and he was also pivotal in their EFL Carabao Cup triumph earlier in the season—ending the club’s long wait for silverware. With his blend of pace, technical ability, and clinical finishing, Isak has become one of the most feared strikers in the league.

The Race for the Golden Boot & Top Four

With 20 Premier League goals to his name, Isak remains firmly in the hunt for the Golden Boot. He currently trails only Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah (27 goals) and Manchester City’s Erling Haaland (21 goals) in the race for the league’s top scorer award.

Looking ahead, Isak and Newcastle will shift their focus to their next league outing against Leicester City on April 7. As it stands, Newcastle sit fifth in the Premier League table with 50 points from 29 matches, just one point behind fourth-placed Manchester City in the battle for Champions League qualification.

With Isak leading the charge, Newcastle’s ambitions of returning to Europe’s elite competition remain very much alive.





Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Mascherano Counting on Inter Miami Fans for 2nd Leg

Published

on


Inter Miami is down 1-0 to LAFC

Inter Miami head coach Javier Mascherano is banking on the passionate support of home fans to inspire a comeback in the second leg of their CONCACAF Champions Cup quarter-final against Los Angeles FC.

The MLS club suffered a narrow 1-0 defeat at BMO Stadium on Wednesday night, with Nathan Ordaz netting the decisive goal in the 57th minute. The loss marked Mascherano’s first defeat as Inter Miami’s manager since his appointment in November, but the Argentine remains optimistic about his team’s chances of reversing the result.

Mascherano has Confidence in a Home Comeback

Mascherano acknowledged that his players were not at their best against LAFC but believes that playing in front of their home crowd at Chase Stadium could be the key to turning the tie around.

“We didn’t have the best night tonight, but it’s the first leg, and we have the next game next week,” Mascherano said in his post-match press conference. “I believe we can do the right things to get through the quarterfinals and into the semifinals. We will try to do it next Wednesday.”

The Argentine manager emphasized the importance of home advantage and the energy the fans can bring. “I think that with our fans in our home, we can play a good match and turn it around. I don’t have any doubt about that, and we will definitely try to do it,” he added.

Balancing MLS Success with Cup Ambitions

Before shifting their full focus to the decisive second-leg clash, Inter Miami will aim to continue their strong MLS form when they take on Toronto FC at Chase Stadium on Sunday. The Herons have enjoyed an unbeaten start to the MLS season, leading the Eastern Conference table with 13 points from five matches.

Inter Miami’s attacking lineup, led by the likes of Lionel Messi and Luis Suárez, has been in fine form in the league, and Mascherano will be hoping they can carry that momentum into the return leg against LAFC. However, the manager will also have to carefully manage his squad’s fitness, ensuring key players remain fresh for the midweek showdown.

A Must-Win Encounter

The upcoming Champions Cup match is a do-or-die situation for Mascherano’s men. With a semifinal spot at stake, Inter Miami will need to produce a dominant performance to overturn the one-goal deficit. The presence of their home supporters could play a crucial role in pushing the team forward, just as Mascherano hopes.

If Inter Miami can successfully bounce back, it would mark a significant milestone in their continental campaign and further establish Mascherano’s credentials as a top-level manager in North American soccer. However, a failure to advance would be a tough blow, putting an early dent in their aspirations for international success this season.

For now, all eyes will be on Sunday’s league fixture before the crucial second leg against LAFC, where Mascherano’s Miami will look to rally behind their fans and keep their Champions Cup dreams alive.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.