Connect with us

Business

Trump’s pardon of disgraced Nikola founder Trevor Milton could wipe out hundreds of millions in restitution for his victims

Published

on



Trevor Milton, the founder of electric vehicle start-up Nikola who was sentenced to prison last year, was pardoned by President Donald Trump, the White House confirmed Friday.

The pardon of Milton, who was sentenced to four years in prison for exaggerating the potential of his technology, could wipe out hundreds of millions of dollars in restitution that prosecutors were seeking for defrauded investors.

Milton and his wife donated more than $1.8 million to a Trump re-election campaign fund less than a month before the November election, according to the Federal Election Commission.

At Milton’s trial, prosecutors say a company video of a prototype truck appearing to be driven down a desert highway was actually a video of a nonfunctioning Nikola that had been rolled down a hill.

Milton had not been incarcerated pending an appeal.

Milton said late Thursday on social media that he had been pardoned by Trump.

“I am incredibly grateful to President Trump for his courage in standing up for what is right and for granting me this sacred pardon of innocence,” Milton said.

The White House confirmed the pardon Friday, though there was no notice of a pardon on the White House website.

Trump wasted little time in using his pardon power since beginning his second term. Hours after taking office, he wiped clean the records of roughly 1,500 people who participated in the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol. The next day, Trump announced that he had pardoned Ross Ulbricht, the founder of Silk Road, an underground website for selling drugs.

Ulbricht had been sentenced to life in prison in 2015 after a high-profile prosecution that highlighted the role of the internet in illegal markets.

Nikola, which was a hot start-up and rising star on Wall Street before becoming enmeshed in scandal, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in February.

Milton, convicted of fraud, was portrayed by prosecutors as a con man six years after he had founded the company in a basement in Utah.

Prosecutors said Milton falsely claimed to have built its own revolutionary truck that was actually a General Motors product with Nikola’s logo stamped onto it.

Called as a government witness, Nikola’s CEO testified that Milton “was prone to exaggeration” when pitching his venture to investors.

Milton resigned in 2020 amid reports of fraud that sent Nikola’s stock prices into a tailspin. Investors suffered heavy losses as reports questioned Milton’s claims that the company had already produced zero-emission 18-wheel trucks.

The company paid $125 million in 2021 to settle a civil case against it by the SEC. Nikola didn’t admit any wrongdoing.

A voicemail left with the U.S. District Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, which prosecuted the case, was not immediately returned.

At the time of his conviction U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said, “Trevor Milton lied to investors again and again — on social media, on television, on podcasts, and in print. But today’s sentence should be a warning to start-up founders and corporate executives everywhere — ‘fake it till you make it’ is not an excuse for fraud, and if you mislead your investors, you will pay a stiff price.”

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

China hits back at Trump’s tariffs with an antitrust investigation into Google and a new 15% tax on U.S. coal and gas

Published

on



U.S. President Donald Trump fired the “opening salvo” of his second trade war on Tuesday as a new 10% levy on Chinese goods came into effect. 

Beijing retaliated soon after. China will impose a 15% tariff on imports of U.S. coal and liquefied natural gas, and a 10% tariff on crude oil, agricultural machinery, large engine cars, and pickup trucks, according to a statement from the Ministry of Finance.

Separately, China’s State Administration for Market Regulation said it would launch an investigation into Google for alleged anticompetitive practices. The SAMR’s statement did not elaborate on how Google may have violated the law. 

Google withdrew its search product from China in 2010 because of concerns over censorship, yet it still maintains offices in the country for its advertising business. 

China is increasingly flexing its antitrust muscles against non-Chinese tech companies. In 2023, the SAMR scuttled a deal between Intel and Tower Semiconductor by failing to give timely approval for the merger. Then, last December, China announced it was launching an anti-monopoly probe into Nvidia over its acquisition of Mellanox Technologies. 

Finally, China designated Calvin Klein owner PVH Corp. and biotech company Illumina as “unreliable entities,” a designation that could lead to punitive actions by Beijing. Last September, Beijing said it would investigate PVH for allegedly boycotting cotton grown in Xinjiang. 

How are markets reacting to new tariffs?

On Monday, the U.S. delayed the imposition of new tariffs on China and Mexico by 30 days. Trump said he held off on the new taxes after both countries agreed to deploy troops to reinforce their respective borders with the U.S.

Trump also said that he could speak to Chinese President Xi Jinping as soon as this week. The two leaders last spoke via phone on Jan. 17, days before Trump took office. 

Asian markets rose on Tuesday, though gains were pared back slightly as both U.S. tariffs came into effect, followed by China’s announced retaliation. Investors were particularly optimistic about Chinese tech companies, with the Hang Seng Tech Index rising by almost 4.5%.

The CSI 300 index, which tracks the top 300 companies traded in Shanghai and Shenzhen, dipped by 0.28% in early trading on Wednesday. Markets in mainland China have been closed since Jan. 28 owing to the Chinese New Year holiday.

Why is Trump imposing new tariffs on China?

Trump has suggested that the new 10% tariff is the result of China not doing enough to control the flow of fentanyl into the U.S. Beijing and Washington have had some cooperation over fentanyl in recent years, including a counter-narcotics working group that was launched in January last year.

On Tuesday, China’s Ministry of Finance accused the U.S. of violating the rules of the World Trade Organization, and said new tariffs wouldn’t help the U.S. resolve its own problems. 

The new Trump tariff could subtract 0.4 percentage points from China’s 2025 GDP growth, Larry Hu, Macquarie’s chief China economist, estimated in a note published Monday. Hu calculated that new stimulus of 500 billion yuan ($70 billion) could offset the drag on growth.  

Correction Feb. 5, 2025: This piece has been updated with the latest CSI 300 benchmark movements as an earlier version incorrectly stated that mainland Chinese markets opened on Feb. 4

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Trump’s threat to EV trucking rules undermines big-rig bets

Published

on

© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Premier’s 100 Top Hospitals 2025: Community Hospitals

Published

on

© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.