Connect with us

Business

American worker confidence just hit a record low and is even worse than it was during the darkest days of the pandemic  

Published

on



Good morning!

American employees are not feeling great about the future. In fact, their optimism is at an even lower point than it was during the height of the pandemic. 

The U.S. worker confidence score for February of this year reached a record low of +24, according to new research from LinkedIn. That’s even worse than how workers were feeling in April 2020, and a sharp 9 point drop from confidence levels in January. 

The culprit for all the anxiety is a slowing jobs market, potentially destructive new economic policies, and fears about how AI will impact human professionals, according to the report. “This is indicative of workers feeling like they don’t have the power to actually change their financial situation. When you feel like you don’t have the power, your confidence in your own stability wanes,” Drew McCaskill, a career expert at LinkedIn,” tells Fortune

While the job market was controlled by job seekers just a few years ago, who made major wage gains by switching roles, that opportunity for workers has all but ground to a halt. The number of applicants per open job on LinkedIn has jumped nearly 70% since 2022, while hiring has slowed 3.4% from February 2024 to February 2025. McCaskill also notes that the influx of fired federal workers searching for new roles may also be a source of strain because “none of us know whether the private sector is going to be able to absorb all those jobs.” 

“It is essentially an employer’s marketplace right now,” he says. 

It’s no surprise, then, that money is causing the most anxiety for workers. Employee confidence in their ability to better their financial situation over the next six months dropped to +15, even lower than April 2020’s score of +16, and a record low for that metric in particular. 

While the current hiring environment is certainly challenging for job seekers, McCaskill says it also puts pressure on hiring managers, and HR leaders. On one hand, this group potentially has their pick of candidates when it comes to filling a role. But this “overwhelmed, overworked” cohort is also wading through more applications and struggling to meet higher demands from bosses who think they should be hiring the best of the best. That’s leading to some inevitable broken links in the job hiring chain. 

“Recruiters are now inundated,” he says. “People who are looking for jobs there aren’t getting responses back.”

Sara Braun
sara.braun@fortune.com

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Canada’s former banker turned prime minister slams Trump’s tariffs as ‘misguided’

Published

on



Prime Minister Mark Carney said Thursday that Canada will match U.S. President Donald Trump’s 25% auto tariffs with a tariff on vehicles imported from the United States.

Trump’s previously announced 25% tariffs on auto imports took effect Thursday. The prime minister said he told Trump last week in a phone call that he would be retaliating for those tariffs.

“We take these measures reluctantly. And we take them in ways that is intended and will cause maximum impact in the United States and minimum impact in Canada,” Carney said.

Carney said Canada won’t put tariffs on auto parts as Trump has done, because he said Canadians know the benefits of the integrated auto sector. The parts can go back and forth across the Canada-U.S. border several times before being fully assembled in Ontario or Michigan.

Carney said Canadians are already seeing the impact.

Automaker Stellantis said it shut down its assembly plant in Windsor, Canada, for two weeks from April 7, the local union said late Wednesday. The president of Unifor Local 444, James Stewart, said more scheduling changes were expected in coming weeks.

Carney said that will impact 3,600 auto workers that he met with last week.

Autos are Canada’s second-largest export and the sector employs 125,000 Canadians directly and almost another 500,000 in related industries.

Carney announced last week a CA$2 billion ($1.4 billion) “strategic response fund” that will protect Canadian auto jobs affected by Trump’s tariffs.

Trump previously placed 25% tariffs on Canada’s steel and aluminum. And Carney said Canada can expects further tariffs on pharmaceuticals, lumber and semi-conductors.

“Given the prospective damage to their own people the American administration should eventually change course,” Carney said. “Although their policy will hurt American families, until that pain becomes impossible to ignore, I do not believe they will change direction, so the road to that point may indeed be long. And will be hard on Canadians just as it will be on other partners of the United States.”

Carney, a former two-time central banker in Canada and the U.K, said Trump’s actions will reverberate in Canada and across the world. “They are all unjustified and unwarranted and in our judgement misguided,” Carney said.

Canada’s initial $30 billion Canadian (US$21 billion) worth of retaliatory tariffs remain in place, having been applied on items like American orange juice, peanut butter, coffee, appliances, footwear, cosmetics, motorcycles and certain pulp and paper products.

Carney suspended his election campaign to return to Ottawa to deal with Trump’s tariffs.

Opposition Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre said he would remove the federal tax on Canadian made vehicles.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford, whose province has the bulk of Canada’s auto industry, called Canada’s latest tariffs a “measured response.”

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

One country spared from Trump’s reciprocal tariffs: Mexico—but it’s still fighting other fees

Published

on



Mexico celebrated Thursday having dodged the latest round of tariffs from the White House taking aim at dozens of U.S. trading partners around the world, but was also quickly reminded that in a global economy the effects of uncertainty can’t be entirely avoided.

President Claudia Sheinbaum said the free-trade agreement signed by Mexico, Canada and the U.S. during Trump’s first administration had shielded Mexico.

Now her government will focus on the existing 25% U.S. tariffs on imported autossteel and aluminum, while accelerating domestic production to safeguard jobs and reduce imports.

“During my last call with President Trump, I said that, in the case of reciprocal tariffs, my understanding was that there wouldn’t be tariffs (on Mexico), because Mexico doesn’t place tariffs on the United States,” Sheinbaum said.

Economy Secretary Marcelo Ebrard noted that despite having free-trade agreements with the U.S., many countries were targeted by the tariffs U.S. President Donald Trump announced Wednesday on what he dubbed “Liberation Day.” Trump framed the tariffs as a way to bring manufacturing jobs back to the U.S.

Noting that Mexico dodged the latest round of tariffs, Ebrard said swaths of Mexican exports including agricultural products like avocados, clothing and electronics will continue to enter the U.S. without import duties.

Sheinbaum, meanwhile, encouraged companies producing in Mexico who had not been exporting under the free-trade agreement for various reasons to take the necessary steps to qualify. She cited major German auto producers as an example.

Qualifying for the free-trade agreement could involve anything from doing paperwork to making adjustments to the sourcing of a product.

Despite Trump’s latest tariffs not being imposed on Mexico, the uncertainty they created and the interconnectedness of the North American auto supply chains meant it didn’t take long for the effects to touch Mexico.

Stellantis, maker of auto brands including Dodge and Jeep, announced that it would pause production at its assembly plant in Toluca west of Mexico City for the month of April while it assesses the tariffs’ impact on its operations. A similar temporary production halt was scheduled for an assembly plant in Canada and some 900 workers were to be temporarily laid off across several plants in the United States.

That uncertainty is part of the reasons why Sheinbaum is pushing Plan Mexico, an initiative to promote and cultivate more domestic production.

As an example, she cited a collaboration between her government, local universities and Mexican companies Megaflux and Dina to produce electric buses for public transportation.

Ebrard said recently that the buses represent not only a technological advance in Mexico, but also a “strategic decision” in favor of Mexico’s industrial sovereignty.

At a factory in Mexico City, the electric buses called Taruk — trail-runner in the Indigenous Yaqui language – are already in production. Megaflux Director General Roberto Gottfried said the company hopes to deliver some 200 by year’s end.

He noted that some 70% of the Taruk’s components are produced in Mexico, including its motor, but the lithium batteries that power them come from China.

In a country where one out of every three people use public transportation every day, developing this sector domestically is critical, Gottfried said.

Despite the global economic challenges presented by the uncertainty caused by tariffs, he said, Mexico’s large internal market gives the initiative a competitive advantage to develop and weather the storm.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Trump’s $3 gasoline dream is still far off for American drivers

Published

on



President Donald Trump touted the idea of Americans paying less than $3 a gallon for gasoline during his tariff rollout speech. And even while crude oil markets are slumping, costs for the fuel have remained stubbornly above that level and look set to remain that way — at least for now. 

“Gasoline is way under $3, and people are beginning to be able to buy things and live again,” Trump told an audience in the White House’s Rose Garden Wednesday afternoon. But average US gasoline prices measured by the American Automobile Association were $3.26 a gallon as he delivered the speech, 13 cents higher than when he took office on Jan. 20. Gasoline hasn’t cost US drivers less than $3 a gallon on average since 2021, when the US economy emerged from the depths of the Covid—19 pandemic that decimated travel demand.

Trump’s new levies did, however, have an immediate effect on futures markets for fuel. Gasoline futures tumbled as much as 8.2% and diesel futures fell as much as 7% on Thursday as part of a broader rout. Crude futures in New York slumped as much as 8%.

Though oil prices are the biggest factor in the cost of producing a gallon of gasoline in the US, declines in the futures market don’t usually bring immediate relief to consumers at the pump, especially with peak demand season just around the corner.

Refiners get to decide how much of a discount they will factor into what are known as rack prices, the amount they charge fuel sellers like gas stations and wholesalers. Those producers and fuel sellers have little incentive to drop pump prices based on one day of trading in the volatile futures markets, especially since they’re now enjoying better margins. A more sustained decline for crude, though, could eventually trickle its way through into retail gasoline. 

But meanwhile, the US is heading into peak driving season, which lasts from May’s Memorial Day holiday week through Labor Day in September, when Americans hit the road for summer vacations. Fuel demand and prices often rise in this period as demand increases and refiners switch to making a more expensive gasoline grade in the warmer weather to meet emissions regulations.

Some consolation for drivers is that fuel prices, while unlikely to fall below $3 for gasoline, are cheaper now than they have been in the last three years in the run-up to the summer. Gasoline prices on Wednesday, as Trump took the podium, were about 30 cents a gallon cheaper than the same day of 2024.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.