Connect with us

Business

Second federal judge blocks Trump from banning transgender troops in the military: ‘The government’s arguments are not persuasive’

Published

on



A U.S. judge in Washington state has blocked enforcement of President Donald Trump’s order banning transgender people from serving in the military, the second nationwide injunction against the policy in as many weeks.

The order Thursday from U.S. District Court Judge Benjamin Settle in Tacoma came in a case brought by several long-serving transgender military members who say the ban is insulting and discriminatory, and that their firing would cause lasting damage to their careers and reputations.

In his 65-page ruling, Settle — an appointee of former President George W. Bush and a former captain in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General Corps — said the administration offered no explanation as to why transgender troops, who have been able to serve openly over the past four years with no evidence of problems, should suddenly be banned.

“The government’s arguments are not persuasive, and it is not an especially close question on this record,” Settle wrote. “The government’s unrelenting reliance on deference to military judgment is unjustified in the absence of any evidence supporting ‘the military’s’ new judgment reflected in the Military Ban.”

U.S. District Judge Ana Reyes in Washington, D.C., similarly issued an order blocking the policy last week but then put her own ruling temporarily on hold pending the government’s appeal. The U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia late Thursday told the parties that it would consider putting the ruling into effect if “any action occurs that negatively impacts” transgender service members.

In a more limited ruling on Monday, a judge in New Jersey barred the Air Force from removing two transgender men, saying they showed their separation would cause lasting damage to their careers and reputations that no monetary settlement could repair.

Trump signed an executive order Jan. 27 that claims the sexual identity of transgender service members “conflicts with a soldier’s commitment to an honorable, truthful, and disciplined lifestyle, even in one’s personal life” and is harmful to military readiness.

In response, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth issued a policy that presumptively disqualifies transgender people from military service.

“They can do the right number of pullups. They can do the right amount of pushups. They can shoot straight,” Sasha Buchert, an attorney with the civil rights law firm Lambda Legal, said after arguments Monday in Tacoma. “Yet, they’re being told they have to leave the military simply because of who they are.”

Those challenging the policy and Trump’s executive order in Tacoma include Gender Justice League, which counts transgender troops among its members, and several transgender members of the military. Among them is U.S. Navy Cmdr. Emily “Hawking” Shilling, a 42-year-old woman who has served for more than 19 years, including 60 missions as a combat aviator in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In his ruling, Settle highlighted her case.

“There is no claim and no evidence that she is now, or ever was, a detriment to her unit’s cohesion, or to the military’s lethality or readiness, or that she is mentally or physically unable to continue her service,” he wrote. “There is no claim and no evidence that Shilling herself is dishonest or selfish, or that she lacks humility or integrity. Yet absent an injunction, she will be promptly discharged solely because she is transgender.”

During arguments Monday, Justice Department lawyer Jason Lynch insisted that the president was entitled to deference in military affairs and suggested the service ban was not as broad as the plaintiffs had suggested.

The judge peppered Lynch with questions, noting that the government had offered no evidence that allowing transgender troops to serve openly had caused any problems for military readiness.

Thousands of transgender people serve in the military, but they represent less than 1% of the total number of active-duty service members.

In 2016, a Defense Department policy permitted transgender people to serve openly in the military. During Trump’s first term in the White House, the Republican issued a directive to ban transgender service members, with an exception for some of those who had already started transitioning under more lenient rules that were in effect during the Obama administration. The Supreme Court allowed that ban to take effect. President Joe Biden, a Democrat, scrapped it when he took office.

The rules imposed by Hegseth include no such exceptions.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

U.S. coffee drinkers face pricier cup as tariffs hit key supplier

Published

on



Coffee in the US risks getting even more expensive as President Donald Trump’s sweeping tariff measures hit Vietnam, one of its biggest suppliers, with hefty levies.

The Southeast Asian nation is the world’s leading producer of robusta coffee, the variety used in instant drinks and espressos. The 46% tariff on Vietnam’s goods — among the highest of the rates Trump imposed against US trading partners — threatens to disrupt flows and comes as coffee costs have already soared on the back of harvest shortfalls.

New York futures for arabica, the high-end variety used in coffee shops, have held near a record high after adverse weather hit key growing regions. Supply shortfalls also pushed robusta futures in London up more than 40% over the past year. 

On Thursday, the most-active contract for robusta fell as much as 2.5%, while arabica futures dropped as much as 3.1%. Both contracts pared most of those losses by the market settle.

“The tariffs will likely add to coffee market volatility and could exacerbate existing supply tightness,” said Priyanka Sachdeva, senior market analyst at brokerage Phillip Nova Pte. in Singapore. “US coffee prices could rise, especially for robusta-based products.”

Nguyen Nam Hai, chairman of the Vietnam Coffee and Cocoa Association, said he was “stunned” to see such a high tax rate against the nation. “Everyone is worried, especially about the signed export contracts,” he said by telephone.

Still, the country ships a lot to other regions like the European Union, helping to temper the impact. 

While there has been an incentive to use the cheaper robusta variety, the world’s top arabica grower Brazil has been hit by a lower 10% baseline tariff. That potentially makes arabica a more appealing option, said Steve Wateridge, head of research at TRS by Expana.

“The fact that all the main arabica producers seem to be at a 10% tariff rate, whereas Vietnam and Indonesia are much higher, there may be a change in the flow as there’s an incentive to use more arabica or Brazilian Conilon,” he said.

But for US buyers, alternatives are limited, with Vietnam its third-biggest supplier. Stocks in the US already have little room for further drawdowns and will likely remain low with the tariffs in place, said Daryl Kryst, vice president of Soft and Agricultural Commodities Asia for StoneX Group Inc.

Although some importers may try to increase purchases from Brazil, Indonesia and Ivory Coast, those countries cannot fully replace Vietnam’s high volume and consistent quality, Sachdeva said. And some of them were hit by steep tariffs too.

Switching to arabica may also not be viable as robusta is critical for instant coffee and espresso, she said. The tariffs will make it “even harder for US buyers to secure affordable robusta, leading to potential shortages,” she said.

Other soft commodities also broadly fell, with the exception of New York cocoa prices that rose as much as 5.8% after the US announced tariffs on top grower Ivory Coast. Cotton futures dropped as much as 4.4% on fears of weaker demand, reaching its exchange limit. Orange juice prices, meanwhile, sank 6% intraday.

Robusta futures dropped 0.22% in London to reach $5,388 a ton, while arabica fell 0.93% in New York. New York cocoa rose 3.6% in New York, while London futures fell 1.4%. Cotton sank 4.4% in New York.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Trump appointee Scott Kupor resigns from some a16z funds, boards ahead of confirmation as head of OPM

Published

on



Scott Kupor, the first hire at Silicon Valley venture capital powerhouse Andreessen Horowitz, is stepping away from active management of dozens of funds but maintaining passive stake in nearly 40 other firm funds, as the Senate weighs his nomination by Trump to lead the Office of Personnel Management.

Kupor will resign as managing partner from a16z, as the firm is known, and has already given up his managing member seat in 32 a16z funds, including several of the firm’s bio and seed funds, according to a letter he wrote to the OPM ethics official that was made public ahead of his confirmation hearing on Thursday. He will remain a passive investor in 38 other funds, according to the letter, though he will forfeit any carried interest that is unvested when he is appointed.

As part of his appointment, Kupor will also divest from positions in Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, Amazon, Lockheed Martin, and other companies, and resign from several board positions in a16z portfolio companies, including Formation Bio, a startup that uses AI to speed up drug development; Talkiatry, a psychiatric care startup; Pearl Health, a primary care organization software startup; and Foursquare, the geolocation and social networking company. He will also step off the board of Alice Walton’s Heartland Whole Health Institute, a non-profit organization founded by Walton in 2019 to rework the healthcare payment and health care delivery system, and the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. 

Kupor is among several prominent Silicon Valley investors and entrepreneurs who have been tapped for roles in the Trump administration, along with AI and Crypto czar David Sacks of Craft Ventures, and Senior White House AI policy advisor Sriram Krishnan, who previously worked at a16z. 

While federal ethics regulations via the Office of Government Ethics often require Cabinet appointees to divest from any companies with financial interests that either pose a conflict of interest or lead to the perception of one, some Trump picks, such as Tesla CEO Elon Musk, have kept their day jobs by working with the White House as “special government employees” who can only serve for 130 days.

Kupor declined to comment for this story. An a16z spokeswoman said that Kupor’s board seats will be covered by other people at the firm.

Thursday morning Kupor had his confirmation hearing with the U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs, in which he testified to Republican and Democratic members and laid out his general plans and the approach he will take to the role. 

Kupor was selected by Trump in December to lead the Office of Personnel Management. Kupor was the first hire of Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz in 2009, shortly after they set up the venture capital firm. Both investors had publicly supported and donated to Trump’s campaign in 2024, and, since the election, Andreessen has spent a significant amount of time at Mar-a-Lago, and Vice President J.D. Vance spoke at the firm’s American Dynamism Summit in D.C. in March.

Kupor’s hearing on Thursday became contentious at times, as Senators pressed Kupor to comment on the firings and cuts that have disrupted numerous federal agencies in the months since President Donald Trump has taken office. Kupor refrained from speaking about any of the terminations but repeatedly said that he believed it was important to treat federal employees in a way that “respects the dignity and humanity” of workers.

“I’ve been very clear in my written responses, in the conversations that we’ve had, that I think the process is one that requires transparency and communication, and we need to recognize and respect the humanity of the workforce,” Kupor said calmly during the hearing in response to questions.

In prepared statements to the Committee, Kupor emphasized his time at a16z and his role in building it from a 3-person $300 million fund to a 600-person $45 billion financial institution.

“Yes, I come from the private sector and, yes, I recognize that the government is not the private sector. Rightly so, the government may have different goals and objectives that should inform our thinking,” Kupor said. “But the fundamentals of organizational design are the same, whether in non-profits, the government or in the private sector. And this is where I believe that my professional experiences make me uniquely suited for this role.”

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Senate confirms Dr. Oz to lead Medicare and Medicaid as Congress debates cuts to programs that provide millions with coverage

Published

on



© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.