Connect with us

Business

Australia set for showdown over climate change, housing prices, as PM calls general elections for May 3

Published

on



Australia will hold a general election on May 3, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said Friday, locking in a showdown over climate action, nuclear power and a runaway housing market.

Albanese’s center-left Labor party took office in May 2022, turfing out a conservative government deeply unpopular after almost a decade in charge.

But initial enthusiasm for Albanese, 62, has evaporated in recent months as the government nears the end of its three-year term.

Polls show him neck-and-neck with right-leaning Peter Dutton, 54, a hard-nosed former detective who wants to cut back on immigration and reverse a ban on nuclear power.

“Over the last few years, the world has thrown a lot at Australia in uncertain times,” the prime minister told reporters.

“Because of the strength and resilience that our people have shown, Australia is turning the corner. Now, on May 3, you choose the way forward.”

Albanese declared he was “born ready” to deal with climate challenges, tariff turmoil and the long tail of inflation.

And he warned any foreign foes intent on meddling in the election campaign to “back off”.

Coal mining-superpower Australia will choose between two candidates with sharply contrasting ideas on climate change and emissions reduction.

Albanese’s government has embraced the global push towards decarbonisation, warning of a future in which iron ore and polluting coal exports no longer prop up the economy.

His election catchcry is “building Australia’s future”—an agenda that includes big subsidies for renewable energy and green manufacturing.

The government used an annual government budget earlier this week to unveil surprise tax cuts while pouring money into traditional Labor priorities such as education and healthcare.

“Getting Australia back on track,” is the contrasting slogan of Dutton.

Dutton’s signature policy is a $200 billion scheme to construct seven industrial-scale nuclear reactors, doing away with the need to ramp up renewables.

He has committed to slashing immigration by 25% and setting “stricter caps” on foreign students allowed to study in Australia.

Polling shows economic concerns such as the high cost of housing will dominate the contest.

Although inflation has eased under Albanese—from 7.8% in 2022 to 2.4% in December—many households are still struggling with high food, fuel, and power prices.

Both sides have vowed to tackle an overheated housing market.

Major cities Sydney and Melbourne now rank among the 10 least-affordable housing markets in the world, according to the annual Demographia affordability index.

‘Not a monster’

Albanese has spent most of his adult life in politics, rising through the Labor Party ranks from humble working-class beginnings.

He touts his love of indie music and his shaggy cavoodle Toto—and once famously declared that “fighting Tories” was his purpose.

Dutton is a former drug squad detective widely seen as a no-nonsense political “hardman”.

His success will hinge, in part, on efforts to soften this image and broaden his appeal.

Dutton’s wife once told a tabloid newspaper that her misunderstood husband was “not a monster”.

An accomplished minister in the previous conservative government, Dutton has held weighty portfolios such as defense and home affairs.

But he faced heavy criticism for his unyielding treatment of asylum seekers as Australia’s immigration minister.

Independents day

Australian politics has long been dominated by Albanese’s left-leaning Labor Party and Dutton’s right-leaning Liberals.

But growing disenchantment among voters has emboldened independents pushing for greater transparency and climate progress.

Polls suggest 10 or more unaligned crossbenchers could hold the balance of power—making a rare minority government a distinct possibility.

The two major parties largely agree on defense and national security, committing Australia to an increasingly close military alliance with the United States.

But they have differed over China in the past.

Albanese has upped engagement with key trading partner China and made a breakthrough trip to Beijing in 2023, the first Australian leader to visit in seven years.

The previous conservative government was highly critical of China, igniting a trade war that cost Australia billions of dollars until subsiding late last year.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Premier’s 100 Top Hospitals 2025: Teaching Hospitals

Published

on

© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Baby boomers are beating millennials in a housing showdown, scooping up homes in all cash

Published

on

© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Canada’s former banker turned prime minister slams Trump’s tariffs as ‘misguided’

Published

on

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Thursday that Canada will match U.S. President Donald Trump’s 25% auto tariffs with a tariff on vehicles imported from the United States.

Trump’s previously announced 25% tariffs on auto imports took effect Thursday. The prime minister said he told Trump last week in a phone call that he would be retaliating for those tariffs.

“We take these measures reluctantly. And we take them in ways that is intended and will cause maximum impact in the United States and minimum impact in Canada,” Carney said.

Carney said Canada won’t put tariffs on auto parts as Trump has done, because he said Canadians know the benefits of the integrated auto sector. The parts can go back and forth across the Canada-U.S. border several times before being fully assembled in Ontario or Michigan.

Carney said Canadians are already seeing the impact.

Automaker Stellantis said it shut down its assembly plant in Windsor, Canada, for two weeks from April 7, the local union said late Wednesday. The president of Unifor Local 444, James Stewart, said more scheduling changes were expected in coming weeks.

Carney said that will impact 3,600 auto workers that he met with last week.

Autos are Canada’s second-largest export and the sector employs 125,000 Canadians directly and almost another 500,000 in related industries.

Carney announced last week a CA$2 billion ($1.4 billion) “strategic response fund” that will protect Canadian auto jobs affected by Trump’s tariffs.

Trump previously placed 25% tariffs on Canada’s steel and aluminum. And Carney said Canada can expects further tariffs on pharmaceuticals, lumber and semi-conductors.

“Given the prospective damage to their own people the American administration should eventually change course,” Carney said. “Although their policy will hurt American families, until that pain becomes impossible to ignore, I do not believe they will change direction, so the road to that point may indeed be long. And will be hard on Canadians just as it will be on other partners of the United States.”

Carney, a former two-time central banker in Canada and the U.K, said Trump’s actions will reverberate in Canada and across the world. “They are all unjustified and unwarranted and in our judgement misguided,” Carney said.

Canada’s initial $30 billion Canadian (US$21 billion) worth of retaliatory tariffs remain in place, having been applied on items like American orange juice, peanut butter, coffee, appliances, footwear, cosmetics, motorcycles and certain pulp and paper products.

Carney suspended his election campaign to return to Ottawa to deal with Trump’s tariffs.

Opposition Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre said he would remove the federal tax on Canadian made vehicles.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford, whose province has the bulk of Canada’s auto industry, called Canada’s latest tariffs a “measured response.”

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.