Connect with us

Business

UnitedHealth Group scrubbed its website of many DEI programming mentions and took down its disability hiring page. The company says it complies with ‘existing and emerging laws’

Published

on



UnitedHealth Group (UHG) is the latest company to scrub its website of much of its DEI programming, in an apparent capitulation to directives from the Trump administration, which has threatened to investigate companies that practice DEI.

The company has taken down several DEI-related pages and blog posts, TechCrunch reported. UnitedHealth Group was previously transparent about specific actions it was taking toward diversifying its workforce, including “integrating programs that prepare diverse communities for the workforce,” and working with universities to source talent. In addition to deleting on Wednesday a webpage touting that the company is “committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion,” it changed its “diversity and inclusion” language to focus on “belonging.”

HR Brew also found that UHG took down its disability hiring page on Wednesday. While the company still has an accessibility blog post, it has removed information about its disability internship program and past recognition of being a best place to work for disabled people.

Joy Fitzgerald, the company’s chief diversity officer since 2021, appears to have maintained her role, at the time of this reporting.

When reached for comment, UHG would not say if it’s changing any of its DEI initiatives, or eliminating its disability internship program.

“We comply with existing and emerging laws while striving to support what is best for the communities we serve,” the company told HR Brew in a statement. “Our values of supporting a collaborative environment where we treat each other with mutual respect continues to be part of our culture and fundamental to expanding access to health care services.”

HR Brew is tracking the companies changing or eliminating their DEI programming. Follow along here.

This report was written by Kristen Parisi and was originally published by HR Brew.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

UnitedHealthcare and other major insurance companies pull company and board leadership bios from their websites after executive’s killing

Published

on



In the aftermath of the tragic shooting of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson, health insurance companies are removing web pages that list their executives and boards of directors. 

A day after Thompson was fatally gunned down outside a New York City hotel on the way to UnitedHealth Group’s investor day, company pages on the websites of major health insurers that previously listed their senior leadership teams redirected elsewhere. UnitedHealthcare is a subsidiary of UnitedHealth Group.

Executive and board of directors bios are common on most company websites, both public and private. Now it appears that major insurers including UnitedHealthcare, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, and its parent company, Elevance Health, all took down those pages, likely as precautionary measures. 

Elevance Health, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, and UnitedHealthcare did not respond to a request for comment. 

Archived versions of the web pages show that they were active on Wednesday. However, as of the publication of this article, those same URLs redirected internet users to other pages on the company’s site. 

For example, United Healthcare’s “About Us” page previously had a subheading that linked to headshots and brief bios of the company’s various executives, including Thompson. Now, that same web address redirects to the company’s homepage, uhc.com. 

Elevance Health, the Indianapolis-based health care conglomerate, also took down a site that featured its company executives. Instead that page now redirects to Elevance’s homepage. 

The website of Elevance-owned Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield performed similarly. The page that showed its executives now links only to the general landing page for the “About Us” section of the website. The insurer made headlines earlier this week over its intention to implement a new policy in New York, Missouri, and Connecticut that would limit reimbursements for anesthesia costs. However, the company pulled back on that proposal later in the week amid widespread criticism. 

The corporate world found itself grappling with the question of executive safety in the wake of Thompson’s murder. The nature of the shooting, which happened on a street corner in Midtown Manhattan, underscored the level of danger certain executives might face—even if they do not expect it. 

Across the business landscape, major corporations raised the levels of security afforded their executives. In the meantime, private security firms reported a marked increase in business inquiries since the shooting. 

Disclosure: UnitedHealth administers Fortune Media’s employer-sponsored health insurance plan. 

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

British billionaire calls for U.K. companies to pay CEOs like footballers, despite bosses making double Premier League players

Published

on



As CEOs continue to digest the fallout of the murder of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Johnson, a billionaire backer of major companies believes a pay rise is needed to attract them to the job.

Lord Michael Spencer, the billionaire British financier, is frustrated by his belief that CEOs in the U.K. deserve to be paid in the same ballpark as the Premier League’s biggest stars like Kevin De Bruyne and Erling Haaland.

“We don’t mind paying our footballers, top-rate footballers, extraordinary amounts of money,” Spencer told the FT

“Somehow that’s considered perfectly acceptable. But if the CEO of BP or HSBC earns £20 million a year, materially less than their peer group in America, everyone jumps up and down saying this is an outrage.”

He added: “The U.S. celebrates the fact that great chief executives earn large amounts of money. They want their chief executives to be paid like football stars.”

Spencer’s argument is similar to one made by Ryanair CEO Michael O’Leary in April, who used footballer pay to justify his potential €100 million bonus.

The problem with Spencer’s comments? CEOs effectively are already paid like footballers in the U.K.

Multi-millionaire CEOs are already the norm

The average FTSE 100 CEO earned £4.2 million in 2023, while FT analysis shows the average Premier League salary was £1.98 million in the same year.

Spencer was more likely suggesting that CEOs should be paid at levels similar to those of the highest paid in the Premier League. But even here, the figures are comparable.

Manchester City’s Kevin De Bruyne is thought to be the highest-paid player, earning a salary of about £400,000 per week, or £20.8 million a year. With playing-related bonuses and sponsorship deals, his income is likely millions higher.

AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot earned £16.85 million in 2023, making him the FTSE 100’s highest-paid boss. In second place was RELX’s Erik Engstrom with a £13.64 million package, while Rolls Royce’s Terfan Erginbilic earned £13.61 million. 

U.K. bosses have faced steep resistance from investors to pay rises in recent years. AstraZeneca’s Soriot saw 38.5% of shareholders reject plans for a £1.8 million pay increase in April.

Rajiv Jain, chief investment officer at top 20 shareholder GQG Partners, said Soriot was “massively underpaid” when compared with U.S. pharmaceutical CEOs.

Shareholders have been cautious to approve bumper pay rises in an era of historically high inflation that has hit those less well off the hardest. 

On the other hand, proponents of pay rises say they are required to prevent a flight of companies and talent from the U.K. Several U.K. companies have chosen to move their listings to the U.S. this year in search of better market valuations.

C-Suite in the spotlight

Spencer’s comments come at a time of deep unrest in the C-Suite. 

The murder of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson last week has brought into the spotlight executive safety at major companies.

UnitedHealthcare and other insurance companies, Elevance Health and Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, removed board leadership bios in an apparent effort to protect their privacy amid heightened safety concerns.

Fortune’s Leadership editor Ruth Umoh and reporter Natalie McCormick wrote of a growing trend of trepidation among execs to make the move to the corner office, one that could be accelerated by Johnson’s death.

Those hoping to reverse that trend argue that higher pay may be the way to go.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Europe has caught a workplace absenteeism bug costing it billions of euros

Published

on

© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Miami Select.